cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Media Sets losing media label device association

Lavoie
Level 2
I am losing the association of media label to a media set, I have confirmed to associate with media set but still loses the association.  A back up doesn't occur when it can't find the media device to write to.. I have verify that a devices/tapes are associated with a job everyday.
6 REPLIES 6

Ayreon
Level 2

It's not my intention to overtake this topic but I suspect I have the same problems.

We have several mediasets (Diff day, Full week, Full month and Full year).

It happens quite frequently that BE changes the associated tapes which are assigned to the "Diff day" mediaset to the "Full week" or any other mediaset and vice versa.

Last weekend I had assigned new tapes to the "Full year" set to run the end year backup.

BE took one of the new tapes but the next tape came from the "Week full" mediaset (we have 2 tapedrives). So the backup was successfull but our tape rotation is ruined because we are missing some of our weekly tapes.

If this is not the same problem you are experiencing Lavoie let me know because I will create a new topic in that case.

Otherwise I will keep my eyes on this one :)

Ayreon
Level 2
 Anyone got a solution to this problem?

Larry_Fine
Level 6
   VIP   

Backup Exec can pull tapes from one media set to use in a job aimed at a different media set if there are no usable tapes in that media set already.  This part of the admin guide may help explain the sequence and priorities.

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/299043.htm

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Only suggestion I have -

From Tools\Options\ Median Management, select the option to

"Use overwriteable media in targert media set before scracth  media"

If the other is selelcted, BE will use the tape that has  been in overwritaealbe status longest, reagardless of trhe media set it belokgs

Lavoie
Level 2

Ya, I have this selected.  Thanks.

Only suggestion I have -

From Tools\Options\ Median Management, select the option to

"Use overwriteable media in targert media set before scracth  media"

If the other is selelcted, BE will use the tape that has  been in overwritaealbe status longest, reagardless of trhe media set it belokgs

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

It that doesn't work, the only thing left is to partition the loader and edit your jobs to point the correct partition

See the Admin Guide