cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Media description column

Raven70
Level 3
Hello I just upgraded from Backup Exec 10.d to Backup Exec 2010, and I have a problem with the media description under the devices pannel. When I was using Backup Exec 10.d when created a backup job under the "job description" field I put "servername backup %d", so when I navigate on the devices page and look at the tape library slot I can see under the "media description" column the server name and the backup date. Now that I uninstalled 10.d and replaced it with 2010 the "media description" column is always empty. Where I'm doing wrong ? There is another way to activate it ? Thanks Raven
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
Tools-- Option -- Media mangement --Media label options ..
http://support.veritas.com/docs/234627

Thats the only thing available ..

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
Changing the registry key under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\Backup Exec\Engine\Misc\Put Family Name in Alternate Label to a value of 1..
See if this helps ... Had similar issue in 11d

Raven70
Level 3
Done but it doesn't work..........other suggestion ????

Thanks

Raven

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Did you install a fresh backup exec 2010 on the server or is it been upgrade to some other version and then to 2010 ?
as backup exec 10 d cannot be directly upgraded ...
The media description which you had is stored in the database so if the database for backup exec  is not migrated then the media description field will not show up any thing as it  is not written to the tape ...

Raven70
Level 3
Uninstalled 10d and installed as new 2010, but the problem is that media description remain empty also for the new job created with 2010 even if I fill the job description field

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
i dont beleive there is not relationship between job description files and the media description..in previous version you can set up media description in the backup job properties but from 11 d onwards ii dont think that is poosible...

Raven70
Level 3
So in Backup Exec 2010 if I put in "job name" field:  Backup %d %t  ( as I did with the 10d version ) it don't work, because in new version it is not possible. Is this correct ????

Thanks

Raven

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
Yup that's right. In previous version there was a media description filed inthe backup job properties where you prove the %D %t switches ..

Raven70
Level 3
Ok thanks, last question there is something equivalent in Backup Exec 2010 to automatically label a tape ?

Raven

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
Tools-- Option -- Media mangement --Media label options ..
http://support.veritas.com/docs/234627

Thats the only thing available ..

Raven70
Level 3
Ok thanks for your help !!!!

Raven