Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Media error - the disk is offline - while backup to a USB drive

Ziv
Level 3

Hi,

Backupexec 2012.

I get it alot on one of our backup 2 TB extranl USB hd.

Also when backup is running I get in event log - event 51 disk, logged many time.

The USB disk is on all the time and always accessable when I check it.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...if you're only allowing 1 job to run to disk, then any other job will queue. That's by design and how it works with a single tape drive too.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

CraigV

Hi Ziv,

Best to get hold of b2dtest.exe and run it against the USB drive. It's going to tell you whether or not the drive is suitable as a B2D target.

Post back with the results.

Thanks!

Ziv
Level 3

Hi Craig, I tried the tool, all tests are passed. I also tried to check the disk for errors with Windows, including bad sectors, all is fine.

Any idea?

Thanks

CraigV

...what type of USB drive is it (USB1/2/3) and what spped USB port is it connected too?

THanks!

Ziv
Level 3

Hi drive supports both USB 2 and 3, server is USB 2.

Thanks

Ziv

Ziv
Level 3

After investigating I decided to try to change in the properties of the storage the "Concurrent write sessions" to 2 instead of 1.

My assumption was that Backupexec tries to backup to this media while another backup job is still running.

So far since the change all backups were successful, I have no idea way it wouldn't just queue for the storage.

Ziv Shadar

CraigV

...if you're only allowing 1 job to run to disk, then any other job will queue. That's by design and how it works with a single tape drive too.

Thanks!