cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Media set problem

NJF
Level 3

I have 2 media sets One is" 5 day" for daily back up and one is called "6 day" for Weekend Backups.

This weekend I had 2 tapes in scratch media for the weekend backup as I had no overwritable 6 day left.

The backup used the first scratch media tape and when that ran out it then went into the 5 days media set and used one of those tapes that was overwritable rather then the other scratch media tape available.

I thought the weekend backup should of either used the scratch media or the 6 day and not gone near the 5 day media set as it is not set up to use this media set

Do I need to set something else to stop this backup going near media sets it is not assigned to

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Read the Chapter in the Admin Guide on media management carefully - it contains a table on how Backup Exec chooses how to select the next overwritable media. This table shows that every configuration will eventually result in the possibility to take an overwritable media from another set.

This is because Backup Exec has been written on the understanding that if you schedule a job top start you would want the product to find all available media before it fails instead of failing immediately.

If you want the backup job to only use specific media you have to partition the slots in your library - and then target the jobs to the correct partition - however if you do this and there are not enough tapes in the partition then the job will be unable to take a tape from another partition and will fail.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Sush---
Level 6

You need to ensure what is the Overwrite Protection Level set in your Backup Exec configuration. Go to TOOLS>>OPTIONS>>MEDIA MANAGEMENT .... on the right side ensure that the Overwrite Protection Level is Set to Partial and not None.

Also select the option to Overwrite Media in Targetted media set before Scratch media

Thanks,

-Sush...

NJF
Level 3

Sush

It is already set to Partial protect only allocated media.

I have changed it to "overwrite recyclable media contained in the targeted media set before overwriting scratch media"

Will this stop jobs setup with media set "6 day" using tapes from media set "5 day" even if 5 day tapes are available.

Is there anything else I need to do to stop jobs using tapes from other media sets

thanks

Colin_Weaver

Read the Chapter in the Admin Guide on media management carefully - it contains a table on how Backup Exec chooses how to select the next overwritable media. This table shows that every configuration will eventually result in the possibility to take an overwritable media from another set.

This is because Backup Exec has been written on the understanding that if you schedule a job top start you would want the product to find all available media before it fails instead of failing immediately.

If you want the backup job to only use specific media you have to partition the slots in your library - and then target the jobs to the correct partition - however if you do this and there are not enough tapes in the partition then the job will be unable to take a tape from another partition and will fail.