Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Media xxxxxx is overwrite protection

mnassar
Level 4

Asalam Alikom 

yesterday when i stared to backup my iserver i found the below alerte 

Media xxxxxx is overwrite protection

The media in drive 'Seagate 1' is currently allocated and is not available for overwrite operation 

the avilable space in the tap 200GB

error is attatched with the messege 

please advice 

11 REPLIES 11

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

The tape is protected for overwiting. You may reconfigure your backup-job to APPEND to the tape (assuming the append period is still valid)

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...check your media set properties (Append/OPP) and make sure that they are correct. If not, a tape won't be overwritable at all leading to this issue.

The other thing to check is that the hard-protection tab on the tape hasn't been slid across.

Thanks!

Donald_Eady
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Here are a few things for your review in regard to OPP and APP 

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO22325

lmosla
Level 6

Try running an inventory on the tape and then run the job again.

ANevatia
Level 4

Hello,

The alert came up because the tape was not overwritable. Please check the media management settings - Overwrite Protection Period and append Period and make sure you have them correct.

Also Please go to the Backup Exec settings > Media management > Select Partial mode in the settings and make sure its not set to None ( not recommended ) 

Also you can please go through the above article to get a better understanding of Media management.

Thanks,

ANevatia

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Why are you repeating what has been said earlier?

mnassar
Level 4

i am so sorry i have a confused so please find attachenent and tell me where is the wrong 

Thakns and appreciate your help 

ANevatia
Level 4

Hello pkh,

I am not trying to repeat what has been said earlier. I am just trying to explain the issue. I am new to these forums and yes I am a Symantec Employee.

Rahul_Kumar1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Please check the media set those tapes have used. You can create a new media set and set an Overwrite and Append period as per your requirement. As if now you can move all these medias to scratch media to make them overwritable.

Thanks

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...you've simply repeated information that was posted days ago...again!

Thanks!

Donald_Eady
Level 6
Employee Accredited

mnassar

Were you able to  resolve your issue.. If not please feel free to DM me your contact info