cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Message storage read/write error keep prompting

Faishah
Level 3

I have been getting below message alot. Ive clean it few times now. Still with the same result. Please help. Here is the message:

Inventory Drive 00084 -- The job failed with the following error: A backup storage read/write error has occurred.

If the storage is tape based, this is usually caused by dirty read/write heads in the tape drive. Clean the tape drive, and then try the job again. If the problem persists, try a different tape. You may also need to check for problems with cables, termination, or other hardware issues.

If the storage is disk based, check that the storage subsystem is functioning properly. Review any system logs or vendor specific logs associated with the storage to help determine the source of the problem. You may also want to check any vendor specific documentation for troubleshooting recommendations.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

This is by design.  You need to remove the tape and respond to the Media Remove alert before the job ends.

You can set up an auto-response to the Media Remove alert so that the job ends without manual intervention. Go to Tools -----> Alert Categories and look for the Media Remove alert to set up an auto-response.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

lmosla
Level 6

Hi Faishah,

Try running a new cleaning tape and if this doesn't help run the vendors diagnostics on your devise to make sure it is functioning correctly and is updated with the latest firmware.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If you are backing up to disk, then check the connection to the disk and make sure that it is functioning correctly.

If you are backing up to a tape drive and it asks to be cleaned despite of being cleaned recently, then it is a sign of hardware failure.  Run the manufacturer's diagnostic utility against the tape drive.  If it fails then it is easier to convince everybody that the drive needs to be replaced.  Otherwise, you would still need to get it replaced.

Have you tried using a new set of tapes?

Faishah
Level 3

Hi guys,

Even new set of tapes, still having the same issue. You guys might be right that I think its the tape drive.

We have another tape drive conncted to another server which is not being used. Im going to transfer that device to this current server that is having issue. As Im not an expert of this, is there anywhere online I can get the step by step guide on how to connect the drive to the BE. Not using the robotic drive, just stand alone drive. We are using BE 2010 R3.

Appreciate if you could help me with that. Thanks in advance.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Read the user manual for the tape drive

Faishah
Level 3

I managed to change and connect the other tape drive. The job is successfuly running, however it is still running for a long time now, though the tape has been ejected. Any idea why is this?

pkh
   VIP    Certified
You got to check and respond to any outstanding alerts

Faishah
Level 3

Thanks, however the respond saying that I have to remove the media. Is that mean the backup is finished? Because it kept on running. Only when I respond to it, it will stop and stated its successul. Is there a way to set the job to stop running when its completed? and prompt the message to remove the media?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

This is by design.  You need to remove the tape and respond to the Media Remove alert before the job ends.

You can set up an auto-response to the Media Remove alert so that the job ends without manual intervention. Go to Tools -----> Alert Categories and look for the Media Remove alert to set up an auto-response.