cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Messed up VM from backup

ChrisLUFC
Not applicable

Hello all, im having a slight issue with the backup of one of our VMs (2k8r2 VM on esxi4.1 host)

It seems to have created over 100 vmdk files which i assume are the snapshots it takes prior to a backup. Snapshot manager says it doesnt have any snapshots so i cannot commit any changes. now my issues arise because the files referanced inside he vmx files (VM-NAME-00000073.vmdk, VM-NAME_1-00000074.vmdk) dont exist in the datastore so im guessing it has actually removed these.

The files that do exist in the datastore are the origional vmdk files (VM-Name.vmdk, vm-name_1.vmdk and vm-name_2.vmdk) aswell as a lot of random 00000x , _1-00000x , _2-00000x all with a ctk.vmdk file.

I have got the server to boot by re-referencing the original vmdk files in the vmx file, however this doesnt commit any changes made since the 16th June since thats when this issue appears to have started. it may be more of a vmware issue but i thought id post here first since bexec caused it. Do any of you vmware guru's know how i can commit all these extra snapshots to the original vmdk files?

i was going to try download the entire folder from the datastore as a flat backup and then referance the latest made files for each disk. these are only a few mb in size (not sure how snapshots work yet but im guessing it looks at the base disk and then put the snapshot ontop?) then create a snapshot and commit all changes. This is fortunatly a very little use server but im now rather worried if this happens to one of our main servers.

Any advice or experience welcome

2 REPLIES 2

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Well first thought is make sure you are running BE 2010 R3 with SP2 and any further hotfixes.

WIth regards the snapshots and committing changes I think you should talk to VMware as this can be a complicated area and the wrong advice could easily make things worse

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee

This document from VMware goes into detail about how to remove the snapshots that are not listed in the snapshot manager.

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1002310