cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Metadata/RAWS error on Backupexec (Windows 7 - 32 & 64 bit versions)

Trixie_Monahan
Level 3

While pre-existing workstations and jobs will run on my Backupexec 12.5 Rev 2213 (windows server 2003) - I cannot add new workstations/installs.

Specifically: whether I am installing a windows 7 32 or 64 bit machine, when i try to push down the RAWS from the backup server it fails. So I manually install the appropriate 32 or 64 version of RAWS on the worksttation. Regardless, when I run the backup agent on the workstation, I receive this pop-up error:

"This program has known compatability issues - check online to see if solutions are available from the Microsoft website. if solutions are found, Windows will automatically display a website that lists steps you can take.

Program: Backup Exec: Symantec

Publisher: Symantec

Location: C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\RAWS\vxmon.exe

Backup Exec: Symantec is incompatable with this version of Windows. For more information , contact Symantec."

If I choose "check  for solutions online" it bombs out. If I choose "run program," and try to run a job, the job bombs with the dreaded metafile error (E000FEC9.)

If I try to push down updates from the server - whether 32 or 64 bit - it tries to pushing down 8 changes. It says it has updated successfully, but I still get the metafile error when I try to run a job, and when I reboot the server and workstation and try to update the RAWS on the workstation again, it still tries to push down those same 8 updates.

How do I get out of this loop?

I have tried removing every variable I can think of (no antivirus running, installing windows WITH service pack one, installing WITHOUT service pack 1, 32 and 64 bit operating systems) - but the path to destruction remains the same every time.

8 REPLIES 8

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Trixie_Monahan
Level 3

It has worked on win 7 machines for over a year. Is this planned obsolesence?

VJware
Level 6

In certain cases, have seen few customers successfully install RAWS on Win 7 & back it up as well, however this is config is not supported with the version of BE 12.5

That being said, would recommend to upgrade to 2010 for supported config & compatibility

(P.S. those customers had BE fully patched to SP4)

Trixie_Monahan
Level 3

what would such an upgrade cost me?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Then you were extremely lucky, and if you had had problems during a Disaster Recovery, Symantec would not have been much help.

The SCL for v12.5 has NEVER included Win7,

Is this planned obsolesence?

No, Just that v12.0/v12.5 were written before Win7, and thus do not include support for the newer OS

Same thing happens every time a new OS is released by MS.  Some are supported via a dot release or patch (ie RA v12.5 support for 2008R2)     More often, you have to upgrade your media server to a supported OS/Version

AmolB

Well it may have worked in past but you will have to upgrade to BE2010 to completely support Win 7

AmolB

Nothing if you have a valid maitenance.

Trixie_Monahan
Level 3

Funny, though, that BE seems to require some sort of tweak at teh start of every year - just after my technical support agreement has lapsed.

IIRC, this is the 4th January in a row that various editions of BE has stopped working - and the solution has never been cheap.