Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrate from BE 12.5 to new server 2010R2

Ahmad_Abdelhady
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi All,

I have an old server Windows 2003 32bit running Backup Exec 12.5 which has been running for about 1 year. I have a new server running Windows 2008R2 and I will install backup Exec 2010R2 So i need to know:

1-How to copy the policies and configuration from the old server to the new server and as i know Symantec doesn't support migrate in case of different OS version.

2-How to move agents from the old server to the new server (Only push from the new server).

3-If i try to restore a backup taken on tape from the old server ver 12.5 by the new server ver 2010r2 ,I will only run inventory and restore or is there any steps to follow to make the new server see the old backup catalog.

12 REPLIES 12

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Hello 

1)  Refer to http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH67768 for migrating BE.

2)  Push BE 2010 Remote agent  to the remote servers.

3)  Perform inventory and then check the restore window, if the catalogs are in place 

then there wont be any issues while restoring data.

EDIT: Migration process in simple words  http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH67296

Ahmad_Abdelhady
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi,

Regarding the first link: I found that

Do not follow this procedure if any of the following are true: 

The computer where Backup Exec is installed and the computer where it will be installed are running two different versions of the Windows Operating System.

Old server Windows 2003 32bit

New server Windows 2008R2 64bit

Is this will effect ?

Hemant_Jain
Level 6

THe document is not correct when it says different OS is not supported. It does apply to different OS also.

Thanks

Sush---
Level 6

The document states it correctly. Though sometimes the migration from one OS to different OS may work most of the time is does not. This is the reason the OS migration from one OS to another is said to be Unsupported. The basic reason for this is that there is huge change in the latest OS that are released. Eg>: Win 2003 and Win 2008 R2.

Even though the migration may work sometimes there is a high possibility that the compatibilty issues may pop up in future. So my recommendation would be to avoid the migration of Backup Exec from one OS to different version of OS.

Thanks,

-Sush...

Ahmad_Abdelhady
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi,

This mean that all the backup will be lost , And i need to recreate policies and schedules again. 

Thanks

Hemant_Jain
Level 6

There is indeed no reason for it to not work. Please give it a try.

Thanks

AmolB

Well I have migrated BE from W2k3 to W2k8 without any issues. You may give a try if 

there are any issues then you will have to start from scratch.

Kenny-Knows-Stu
Level 4

BE 12.5 and BE 2010 both by default store the Jobs, Policies and configuration related information on a SQL Express instance ( MS SQL 2005), the SQL database is OS/Architecture (32/64bit) independent, it will not affect the migration process in any ways.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...I think that was mentioned a month ago wink

David_Gtz
Level 2

i am trying to migrate BE 12.5 in Win 2003 x32  to BE 2010 on win 2008 x64

i follow the document steps but it doesn't work

on the event log in windws appears that there is a mismatch on the database version

the bouth windows has SQL express

now im gonna try to migrate from 12.5 to 12.5 and then a upgrade in place to 2010

any idea!?

Regards

pkh
   VIP    Certified

This is an old discussion.  Start a new discussion for your problem so that it can get the attention that it deserves and state your difficulties clearly.

David_Gtz
Level 2

i have already migrate , but .. 12.5 to 12.5 on the win 2008 x64

and then an upgrade inplace to BExec 2010