cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrated 2010 R2 to new Server PROBLEM

Judh
Level 4

I am trying to migrate an installation of Backup Exec 2010 R2 32bit from windows server 2003 R2 Standard to Backup Exec 2010 R2 64 bit/Windows Server 2008 R2 64bit.

I have migrated the Database and catalogs using http://blog.vmpros.nl/2009/07/08/symantec-backup-exec-how-to-migrate-data-and-catalogs-to-a-fresh-in...

The migration seems to have been successfull except for one wierd issue I can't seem to figure out.

Using migrated Backup jobs or a newly created backup job, with different active directory credentials that have domain administrator rights...

A full backup (reset archive bit and a 'copy all files') will not backup everything on a server.  I do a full backup of an entire server, and it will only get some of the files, and the same files are backed up each time, trying to backup one of the files that it doesn't backup as a single file, won't back it up.  There are no error messages displaying, there are no event log failures of authentication I can see.

I am using mirroring the old server backup settings on the new server, and the old server (when reverting back to it) backups everything up normally.

The only thing I haven't done yet is recreate the server and try it without migrating.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Are you using DFS on your new server?  Files under DFS are backed up by backing up the Shadow Copy Component, not the "normal" way.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

I_T_Guy
Level 4

Is it possible for you to attach one og the job logs here ?

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Judh,

Open up BEutility.exe and run a BEDB repair. Then try the backup again...

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Are you using DFS on your new server?  Files under DFS are backed up by backing up the Shadow Copy Component, not the "normal" way.

Judh
Level 4

I would, but the backup job logs provide no errors, they report success like it is an incremental type backup, which is what this seems to be doing, but selecting a full backup archive bit etc...

Judh
Level 4

I went back to basics, uninstalled everything, downloaded the latest 2010 R3 package.

Unfortunately right now there seems to be an annoying install feature when trying to use the sql 2005 express as a database, it won't install due to changes done to the latest version of 2010 vs the version of sql being installed...*mumble*, even after uninstalling all of sql 2005 express components and re-installing.

As soon as I can get it installed, I will test a backup before I do a migration, and then after.  I will try the Database repair utility if it appears to be happening again.

CraigV

...I've just had a similar sort of problem...check and make sure that the SQL Express (BKUPEXEC) service isn't running for some obscure reason.

Otherwise take a look at the TN below and see if you caught all the traces of BE...

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH50720

Judh
Level 4

I just went through a 'pull everything out of the registry after a full uninstall' of both backup exec and sql server express 2005 that be 2010 r3 installs.  and same results, it won't install.  *sigh* my last resort is to install it on our sql server (2008 version) but I don't really want to do that. oh well, Ill see if THAT works...

CraigV

OK, and if you try a manual installation of SQL Express first, followed by the BE installation?

Alternatively, install SQL Express 2005 manually, and then uninstall it and run the BE installation again.

Judh
Level 4

Figured it out...*sigh* forgot a directory that didn't get deleted.

Ok, now on to testing.

Judh
Level 4

Not using DFS that I am aware of.

Edit: It looks like when the new NAS server was upgraded a few months ago, DFS was enabled.  After I get the trick to migrating a 2010 installation to 2010 R3, I think this might be the issue...

Judh
Level 4

The DFS file replication that my boss had setup when migrating to a new NAS server seems to be the issue for that set of backups.  He had disabled the replication, but the service was still running.  I disabled the services, retried, and it went back to backing up normally.

Which doesn't explain how our old backup server (BE2010 with hotfixes, been in place for awhile) was able to backup the data normally without going into the shadowcopy dfs repository to back it up *boggle*