cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating 10.1d to 11d

Michael_Hoja
Level 3
I have 10.1d installed on our Win2k Media server. MSDE 2000 is installed with it. I'm planning to move to 11d which has SQL Express 2005. How do I migrate the settings. If I install over the top does the install upgrade the MSDE?

If I uninstall 10d and MSDE, then install 11d does it pick up any of the settings? Any help would be great thanks. M
6 REPLIES 6

perry_baker
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Installing BE 11d over the top of BE 10d will upgrade MSDE to SQL Express and migrate all settings. If you have any trepidation you can take precautions by making note of what BE hotfixes and services packs have been installed (you will need this information later if you encounter a failure the prompts you to revert to 10d), stopping all BE and SQL services, copy the entire BE installation directory to an alternate location and then upgrade the 10d installation in place knowing your installation has been preserved in the alternate location.

But an in place upgrade will upgrade all requisite components.

Kevin_Nickson
Level 4
I can't for the life of me understand why you would want to upgrade 10D to 11D?? 10D actually backs things up. Why would you want to stop having successful backups?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Be aware that there are multiple reports of the upgrade completely trashing selection lists, and in some cases job definitions, so unless you have a fairly simple setup that can be recreated without much difficulty, make sure that your v10 config is well documented

Michael_Hoja
Level 3
Ken and Perry - thanks very much for your professional and helpful responses. I'll give that a try and let you know how I get on.

Kevin Nickson, where on earth did you come from?? I'll not make a point of lowerIng myself to your standard spraying poison comments on posts which don't concern you. I've had a look at some of your other posts and they all have the same negative enery. You moan about Symantec Backup Exec products slating them left right and centre. I couldn't disagree more - it's a fantastic product with great support.

Maybe if you setup the application and configured it properly after RTFM you wouldn't have all the issues you currently experience with your backups. Another classic example of an IT scatter brain jumping onto the 64-bit architecture ladder without carrying out testing or proper impact analysis before rolling into production.

I've been a Symantec customer and a member for several years and its users like myself who can do without unhelpful and pointless comments such as yours above.

I'll make it my weeks priority to report your comments on this post and others to the forum administrators if you ever send me another post like the one above. Clear ?

Kevin_Nickson
Level 4
Wow, Michael, I'm impressed with your attack. You must feel like a big man now. You don't know me and you have absolutely no idea of my IT experience or knowledge. If you would like to compare certifications or experience, please do. I've been doing this for almost 20 years and have worked with some of the sharpest minds in the industry.

Please don't spout your rhetoric here, as it will most definitely go unnoticed. I see you have a whopping 16 posts in the forum! Wow, you're really a helpful professional.

"...I'll not make a point of lowerIng myself to your standard spraying poison comments on posts which don't concern you..."

Not to point out the obvious, but wouldn't your quote above be somewhat hypocritical? Thought so.

I'm guessing your primary role in IT is simply to switch backup tapes everyday?

And by the way, it's "ENERGY", not "ENERY".

Michael_Hoja
Level 3
You clearly fell for the bait Kevin and also need to get a life