cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mismatched tape device serial number?

Donald_Thompson
Level 3
I am testing out and evaluating BE10 before we put it into production. Our test system is W2K3 Server with a HP Surestore C7145 Library. This system worked fine with BE9.1, however BE10 is now giving us difficulty with the tape drive.

The windows driver reports the following from the driver:
Type: Benchmark DLT 1
Serial Number: 0000066203
Firmware Revision: 50

However in BackupExec 10 it reports:
Vendor: COMPAQ
Product ID:
Firmware:
Drive type: DLT 64k (64K,10,0,HU)
Media Type: DLT
Serial Number: COMPAQ 40GB DLT1 LDRV

*I re-installed firmware for the loader and the drive: Did not have any effect.

*I have tried compatible drivers from:
- hp SureStore DLT VS80 drive > HP (via HP TapeTools Util) 6/23/2003 v2.4.0.0
- Benchmark DLTtape(tm) DLT1/VS80 tape drive > Quantum (via internet/Microsoft) 11/20/2003 v2.5.0.0
- Benchmark DLTtape(tm) DLT1/VS80 tape drive > VERITAS (via BE10 drivers) 2/11/2004 v5.1.1.1

If anyone has any idea what is going on, I would really appreciate it. We are looking to put this into production on a Quantum M1500 LTO3 system in 1-2 weeks. We really need to get our feet wet, and this is not a good kickoff.

Thanks in advance
-Don
8 REPLIES 8

Kerm
Level 5
It sounds like your LT03 drive is a standalone drive, not a library? I would expect fewer problems with a bare drive than with a library. Quantum was DEC's tape/disk property. Along the way to becoming Compaq, Quantum was privatized. Seeing DEC/Compaq/Quantum /HP reported isn't unusual for a DLT tape drive.

With BEX I've never had really good luck unless I used the Veritas drivers. Making the device wheels spin is a lot easier than getting S/W to spin them correctly. I've used BEX and Veritas with DAT, Mammoth and DLT/LTO. So long as the brand and model drive are on Veritas' supported list, you should be ok.

Donald_Thompson
Level 3
I appreciate the feedback, however we did startoff with BackupExec drivers. Also, the 'test' system is using an ATL by HP namely the SureStore DLT 1/9 Autoloader. The 'prod' system is currently running a Quantum M1500 25 slot LTO2 library with BEX 9.1. In a few weeks, we will be upgrading to BE 10, and the M1500 library will be upgraded to LTO3. We will also be using D2D2T methodology instead of D2T.

But, back to the main problem. We still can't get BE10 running on our test system with the SureStore DLT 1/9 autoloader as previously described.

Donald_Thompson
Level 3
Oh, I forgot to mention.. The HP Surestore C7145 Library is on the approved list for BE10.

Kerm
Level 5
Sounds like you may have to pay for real assistance. Once the proper driver was located I've only had one problem with autoloaders/libraries. Where the device was to read an external bar code label, the scanning laser was not set quite right. I had to move the label up or down to get caught by the scan.

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello,

I would like to know if there are any errors reported in Backup Exec ? Is it well detected by Windows and Backup Exec ? Does event logs show any tape device related errors ? If so then please mention it.

Waiting for your reply.

Regards

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Donald_Thompson
Level 3
Actually, Windows 2003 sees the tape drive as "BNCHMARK DLT1 SCSI Sequential Device" in a "HP Tape Library". Which is correct, however the drive shows up as a COMPAQ drive in an HP tape library. I believe the problem is that when HP bought out Compaq, they might have distributed Compaq's newer named firmware for the BNCHMARK drive. When the firmware on the drive was updated.. it probably is now confusing BackupExec 10. It worked fine in BE 9.1.

Please advise
-Don

Donald_Thompson
Level 3
When I stated that it shows up as a COMPAQ drive in an HP tape library.. That is how BE 10 sees it..

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

Please refer the following technote for tape drive configuration.
Title:
How to troubleshoot issues with a Robotic Library or Tape Drive in Backup Exec 9.x and 10.0

Additionally uninstall the VERITAS drivers and try installing OEM drivers and verify the results.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.