cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move Tape Drive

swinney
Level 4
I have a JukeBox (20 tapes) that I would like to move from one server to another.

How can I move the inventory information and catalogs? I would like to avoid having to re-catalog all of those tapes (20) that would take forever.

Both servers are on backup exec 10 with service pack 1. The old sever is Windows 2000 the new server is Windows 2003.

Thanks
7 REPLIES 7

swinney
Level 4
Bump

Anyone?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
To just move the catalogs, make suer that all BackupExec services are shut down on both servers, copy the entire \Catalogs directory to the new server, then see http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/272886.htm

Migrating your job info and selection lists is a different process, or were you just going to create those from scratch?

swinney
Level 4
The server I am moving this tape library to is also running some to disk backups now. Copying the catalogs directory shouldn't affect my backup to disk catalogs should it?

I will be recreating the jobs and selection lists.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Copying the catalogs directory shouldn't affect my backup to disk catalogs should it?

Nope. Each catalog has a unique name. Copying the old ones in should not have any effect on the existing ones.

('Course if you are a Belt and Suspenders type guy, it wouldn't hurt to make a copy of the existing new \Catalogs directory before you copy the old U01 files in ;) )

swinney
Level 4
('Course if you are a Belt and Suspenders type guy, it wouldn't hurt to make a copy of the existing new \Catalogs directory before you copy the old U01 files in )

Yeah that would be me :)

One last thing if you dont mind.
If I setup the drive on the new with the same name/setup/config and the tapes remain in the same slots I should be fine with "just" copying the catalogs? Meaning backup exec has all of the inventory info it needs to find the data (what tape it is on)

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Nothing needs to be the same

Since the U01 file names are unique, and if the volume labels are also unique, adding the files and forcing the re-index is all you need to do.

When you select files for restore, Backup Exec will scan all mounted tapes to see if the one it needs is ready, if not, it will prompt you to mount the correct tape by Volume Label. DLT00001 or 1st Friday, or whatever your naming convention is.

swinney
Level 4
Thanks for the help

I plan on doing this early next week