cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move tapes to slot after backup finishes

norbertg
Level 5

We have a dual library with 2 separate jobs. Job 1 backs up 3 servers to drive 1, Job 2 backs up another 3 servers and to drive 2.

What I would like to do is once the backup's complete is move the tapes to corresponding slots e.g once Job 1 finishes move tape from Drive 1 to IO or slot 1 if I can't use IO, once Job 2 finishes move tape from Drive 2 to slot 1 or 2 if Job 1 can't use IO.

Is this possible? I saw there is an option to export media after job completes but I can only choose none, not sure if this does what I want regardless.

If it’s possible, what happens if a tape is already in say IO and\or slot 1 and\or slot 2? Will the tape be moved back to it's original slot? Anyway to force it to move to the next lowest numbered open slot when there is no-one onsite over the weekend\public holiday?

We are using BE2014 with all SP's and hotfixes installed.

3 REPLIES 3

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

You can either move a tape from a regular slot to a mailslot via "Export" or move tape from mailslot to a regular slot via "Import" within BE. Any other type of tape movement or movement to other slots, use the interace of the library itself.

Are mailslots configured for your library ?

saw there is an option to export media after job completes but I can only choose none, not sure if this does what I want regardless.

This option is for exporting media to a media vault. If none shows as an option, it means a media vault isn't configured.

To export media from BE, one has to right-click the appropriate slot from the Storage tab and choose Export.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

After BE is done with a tape, it will be returned to the slot that it is originally from.  You cannot change this behaviour.  This means if the tape is fetched from Slot 1, it will be returned to Slot 1.

Export is to move a tape from a regular slot to the mailslot.  You would have to enable the mailslot first using the front-panel of the tape library or its Web interface.  Once the mailslot is enabled, you would not see it in the BE console.

I saw there is an option to export media after job completes

Unless I am mistaken, there is no such option.  There is an option called Eject media after job completes, but this option is for stand-alone tape drives and is not applicable for tape libraries.  To export a tape after the job completes, you need to add an export stage to the job.  Note that if the job uses more tapes than there are mailslot and there is nobody to remove the tapes from the mailslot, the export job will fail.

To import a tape from the mailslot to a regular slot, you must right-click on the target slot and select Import.

norbertg
Level 5

Thanks guys I'll leave it as is and move them manually.

Are mailslots configured for your library ?

I don't believe so.