cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving SQL Instance

eric_ID
Level 2
I have searched the boards and support pages, but didn’t seem to find a specific answer to this question.

We have a new server with SQL 2000 SP3 and would like to move the SQL instance from our main server to the new server with SQL server. Is this possible without having to reinstall BackupExec?
6 REPLIES 6

A_van_der_Boom
Level 6
First of all I never tried out what I am saying here.

You mean want to transfer you BE installation to your new server ?
My guess is you can't do that without reinstalling BE onto your new machine. You could try to first dump you database via BEUtility, than copy the file BEDB.BAK to the same place on your new server and the via BEUtility recover your database with the option 'drop existing database and recover from backup' You than should see al your jobs when you start BE

What I do not know is if the BE agents are aware of the name of the BE server and if they would be able to find you new server. You might need to reinstall them. But again I never tried such an operation.

You could check the BE knowledgebase if there is anything about transfering BE configurations to different/new servers.

Regards
A van der Boom

eric_ID
Level 2
Thanks A van der Boom

Our main server is getting bogged down and the new server will handle most of our applications. The tape array is hooked up to our main server and will stay that way. We were looking to move the SQL instance, but keep the main interface for BE on the main computer. It sounds like that isn't really an option. I am happy to reinstall the program and point SQL to a different place, but wanted to look at another option.

A_van_der_Boom
Level 6
I asked something similar (local/remote SQL instance), which you can find here http://forums.veritas.com/discussions/thread.jspa?threadID=39664&tstart=0,. maybe that answers your question.

Regards
A van der Boom

John_Chisari
Level 6
Partner Accredited
BE must use a SQL instance on the same server in which BE is installed.

That being said a new feature in BE 10 is the ability to use any SQL server on the network.

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

We need to know if your question has been answered. If not, you can update us on the same. It seems you were looking for information regarding moving SQL Instance.

You can additionally check the following technote which talks of moving Backup Exec to another server the way it is without loosing important information:

How to uninstall and reinstall Backup Exec 9.x, or move Backup Exec 9.x to a different computer, without losing job configuration information
http://support.veritas.com/docs/260054

Do let us know if your query is answered. In case we do not receive your update within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Regards.

Sheetal_Risbood
Level 6
As per our previous reply, marking the case as assumed answered and moving it to answered questions pool.