cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving backup from Disk to tape

khuyenht
Level 4

Hi Symantec Experts,

On Symantec Backup Exec 2012 have 1 Disk Storage, now it is nearly full, how can i migrate backup data from Disk storage to tape ?

Please help!

Thank you so much

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Go to the Storage tab, click on the disk storage and then right-click on the backup set that you want to migrate to tape and select duplicate.  This will duplicate the backup set from disk to tape, but it will not delete the backup set on disk.  On the Storge tab, you would have to right-click on the backup set that you want to delete and select delete.  This will delete the backup set from BE console as well as from the disk storage.  Do NOT delete the backup set from the disk storage which will leave orphaned entries in the BE console.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Go to the Storage tab, click on the disk storage and then right-click on the backup set that you want to migrate to tape and select duplicate.  This will duplicate the backup set from disk to tape, but it will not delete the backup set on disk.  On the Storge tab, you would have to right-click on the backup set that you want to delete and select delete.  This will delete the backup set from BE console as well as from the disk storage.  Do NOT delete the backup set from the disk storage which will leave orphaned entries in the BE console.

khuyenht
Level 4

Hello pkh,

Could you please clarify how to delete backup set !

"On the Storge tab, you would have to right-click on the backup set that you want to delete and select delete.  This will delete the backup set from BE console as well as from the disk storage.  Do NOT delete the backup set from the disk storage which will leave orphaned entries in the BE console."

I don't see any backup set in Storage tab. I only see backup set in disk storage.

I am using BE 2012.

Thank yo so much!

pkh
   VIP    Certified

I don't see any backup set in Storage tab. I only see backup set in disk storage.

This is correct.  I had assumed that you would click on the disk storage to get the backup sets.

khuyenht
Level 4
Hi pkh, If I delete the the backup set in disk storage it will cause the orphaned entries in BE console as your recommend before: "Do NOT delete the backup set from the disk storage which will leave orphaned entries in the BE console" So I don't understand how can I free the disk space for further backup! I need to free disk space for further backup and I can recovery data from tape after I delete backup set in disk storage . Please help. My disk storage is coming low space. Thanks so much

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Don't delete the backup sets from the disk using Windows Explorer. This will leave orphaned entries in the BE console. On the Storage tab, click on the disk storage to see the backup sets. Right-click on the ones that you want to delete and select delete. This will delete the backup sets from the BE console and at the same time BE will delete the backup sets from the disk. This will free up the space on the disk

Vishal_Shinde
Level 5
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi,

please be informed before deleting the Backup set, that Backup Exec is re-designed to keep an backup set, until all of its dependent sets are expired.

Ref:

Backup 2012: Some expired backup sets are not being deleted after the expiration date or unable to overwrite or delete the last backup set
http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH187957

Regards,
Vishal

khuyenht
Level 4
Thank you so much, How can I restore the file or an email when needed in tape ?