cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving servers, 11d to 12.5

LPickard
Not applicable

Hello, I'm completely new with Backup Exec and I've tried googling but haven't found exactly what I'm looking for.

In my environment we currently have a server (let's call it BK1) running Backup Exec 11d and everything is running fine.  It's connected to a tape library with an LTO2 drive via SCSI.  We have a new server (let's call it BK2) which is connected to a new tape library with an LTO4 drive via SAS.  The new server will be running Backup Exec 12.5.

Does anyone have recommendations or can point me to some reading material?  I would like to simply get the catalogs, jobs, and policies from BK1 moved over to BK2 (with the ability to do restores from the LTO2 tapes) and then turn off BK1.  I would prefer not to upgrade BK1 from 11d since it works as is.  After a good amount of time, if BK2 is doing a good job, mothball BK1.

Thanks in advance and I will continue to google!

4 REPLIES 4

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Take a look at

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/319367.htm

You'll need to migrate v11d to BK2, then upgrade that to v12

Also, be sure to check out the "Do Not Use If ...." near the top

ailsharad
Level 3

Hi LPickard,

you can follow the tech note

http://support.veritas.com/docs/287063

this exactly describes what you need to do

Thanks & Regards

Sharad Ail

ailsharad@gmail.com

MitchR
Level 6

Depending on the amount of pain involved, you may want to consider installing BE 12 as a brand new, clean install - then manually recreate your jobs.

You can always re-catalog tapes you need (or are likely to need).

Yes - it might be a lot of extra work, BUT you save the potential problems of anything corrupt in your old system and/or something in the migration going wrong.

Something to think about....

riva11
Level 6
Only a consideration between Updgrade and New Installation, I think the new installation gives great beneficts when the goal is system running in a new fresh enviroment.

In some environment you cannot perform really a fresh installation. For example a server running many applications where there are complicated to remove in a safe way the old app and then install the new one.