cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple Mailbox Errors & No Compression

EngBackup
Level 2

Hi,

Having problems getting exchange messages to back up, plus getting no compression so tape fills up and never completes job.

Used to get error:

"Using the job settings, Backup Exec attempted to back up the passive copy of the Exchange database. However, the passive copy was not available after the Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) snapshot was performed. Try to run the job again."

Then changed Exchange settings to use active copy instead of passive, then got the following error.

"Cannot extract mailbox messages from the Exchange backup. Review the job log for more information."

the error in the log is:

"V-79-57344-759 - Unable to complete the operation for the selected resource using the specified options for the following reason: VFF Open Failure.  This can be caused by low memory or disk resources."

Have tried to change compression to use software only, use hardware only, use hardware and software, but still get 1:1 compression so task never compltes because it runs out of space.

Using Windows Server 2008 SP2 and Exec version is 13.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...if you lose your encryption key, all your data on that tape is null. So only enable it if you absolutely need to!

Turning off GRT means every item gets backed up...it's more of a legacy way of backing up, but sometimes you'll find Symantec support asking you to try this to eliminate something.

GRT snapshots the Information Store, but still allows individual item restores and is a lot faster.

I'd really recommend splitting your jobs...read the article below. You'd backup Exchange and any other DBs without AOFO, and then run a job backing up the data WITH AOFO...

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/backing-databases-and-files-same-tape-separate-jobs...

I've also seen that sometimes when backing up compressed files, they get backed up far larger than they already are. Also, some files don't compress...so backing them up is a 1:1 ratio!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

CraigV

Hi,

You might want to check the TN below for your error:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH135286&actp=search&viewlocale=en_...

With regards to the compression issue, is this only for Exchange, or are you backing up data with it? If data too, split your backups off. AOFO shouldn't be used with database backups if you're using it, and it might be contributing to your compression problem.

Also check your tape drive and make sure that compression is turned on, and that compression is turned on in your job as well!

THanks!

EngBackup
Level 2

Hi Craig,

Thanks for your reply.

Doesnt turning off GRT mean that individual mailboxes do not get backed up... or a full restore of the exchange mailboxes is needed to get access to one?

No, other data is being backed up including system state.

I have changed the job settings as previously discussed, plus enable encyption box is ticked on the tape drive listed on Backup Exec, is that correct?

CraigV

...if you lose your encryption key, all your data on that tape is null. So only enable it if you absolutely need to!

Turning off GRT means every item gets backed up...it's more of a legacy way of backing up, but sometimes you'll find Symantec support asking you to try this to eliminate something.

GRT snapshots the Information Store, but still allows individual item restores and is a lot faster.

I'd really recommend splitting your jobs...read the article below. You'd backup Exchange and any other DBs without AOFO, and then run a job backing up the data WITH AOFO...

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/backing-databases-and-files-same-tape-separate-jobs...

I've also seen that sometimes when backing up compressed files, they get backed up far larger than they already are. Also, some files don't compress...so backing them up is a 1:1 ratio!

EngBackup
Level 2

Sorry, i meant to say compression is ticked on the tape drive not encryption...

Is there a fix in the pipeline to make GRT work? the solution to turn it off just seems very inconvenient.

How would you do the two jobs on the same tape?

For instance now everything runs at night at a certain time, i presume two jobs cant use the same tape at the same time.

Thanks.

EngBackup
Level 2

Hi,

After changing the backups to do the data and the Exchange separately, we got the first successful job!

so thanks for that.

However, the compression is still 1:1 and the first backup job uses 33GB out of 36GB tape, i have looked at the logs and the first hard drive has a compression of 2.1:1 the system state is 1.6:1 but the main drive that takes up 30GB only has 1:1 still.

The job failed initially when i selected use hardware and then software compression, but then worked when i pressed use software compression.

So i had the second job to start 3 hours after the first one, but the first job takes 6 hours so the second job is 'missed' i will edit the schedule to see if i can sort it, but i cant see the Exchange mailboxes and the SQL databases fitting onto the remaining 3GB.

So the main issue is the compression only being 1:1 on the major drive...