cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple jobs 1 server

Zekester65
Level 3

I have been having issues trying to schedule multiple jobs to one server. Once job I have the differential, full weekly, and full monthly. Another job I have backing up a specific directory during the day doing a full monthly, full weekly, and a differential.l We have 1 tape drive, but I need to put the backups on 2 separate tapes. It looked good initially, it showed my next backup was today @ 11 and ran with no problems. Now though, the differential for tonight is gone, and it shows my next backup is for tomorrow @ 11, skipping the differential for tonight.

Why is it skipping the differential for almost the entire server for this evening?

5 REPLIES 5

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

If that directory is in another backup job, you could be resetting archive bits causing the DIFF backup to skip.

Your other option is to look at swopping the backup times around...see if this would resolve the job being skipped.

Thanks!

Zekester65
Level 3

It is definitely not getting backed up with another job. This directory is is huge, which is why it is run separately on a separate tape (just doubled checked to make sure and it is not selected on my daily differential). I also can't swap the times, since all of my daily backups (excluding this folder) is ran at night unfortunately.  I do agree it looks like it is resetting the archive bit on that one directory differential, but not sure why.

I sent a couple of screenshots showing what is selected on the jobs.

Thanks for the assistance as well Craig. I have been fighting this for the better part of a week now.

Mike...

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If I understand you correctly, the job that backs up this big directory is skipping a day in the schedule.  It is not that it ran and did not backup anything.  If it ran and did not back up anything then it could be as previously suggested, that the archive bit is somehow reset.

If the daily schedule skip a day, check that it does not clash with some other backup job or some other cycle like a monthly or weekly backup.

Also, have you tried recreating the job?

Zekester65
Level 3

Hi pkh appreciate your input on this.

Let me see if I can try to explain this better and will attach more screenshots (for my own sanity).

I have a server that I want to run multiple backup jobs on. I have scheduled at 8PM a monthly, weekly, and a daily differential on most of the server, except for one directory.

The other schedule is a monthly, weekly, and daily differential on that one directory that I run at 11AM. Reason why I have it set this way is that the directory is huge (2TB), and it's flat file data.

When the 11AM daily runs, for some reason it negates the daily for 8PM.

I have attached some screenshots of the jobs, and when the last backup ran and when it is scheduled to run again (it didn't execute last night's differential).

Thanks,

Mike...

As a sidenote, I have even re-ran the full for both jobs to make sure BE2012 knows it has a full backup on the server. I will attach another screen shot for that as well.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Could your 8 p.m. job be missed because something is hold it up?  Have you checked?

Click on the Backup Calendar button in the button bar and see whether the 8 p.m. job is actually scheduled to run as expected.  If it is not scheduled, try re-creating both the jobs again.