cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My differential is backing up all the file on the server...

Bill_Hopkins
Level 3
My differential is backing up all the file on the server and not just the changed file from the day before. I’m performing a differential backup based on modified time. Any ideas? I’m quickly running out of space at this rate.

Bill H.
11 REPLIES 11

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,
What are the resources being backed up? Please go to tools>options>joblogs and check the fourth option to include all the details. Now check the files being backed up and the time and date of modification.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

Bill_Hopkins
Level 3
Hello,

Thank you for the help. I made the change you suggested but it did not work, my differential buckup is still backing up all the files and not just the changed files based on time.

What should I look at next. I hate to call in on this issue but it is quickly becomming a critical issue as I'm running out of storage space. Thank you again.

Bill H.

Fedro_Ponce_de_
Level 3
Partner Accredited
May be I am assuming something, but... did you completed a full backup previously. The differential or incremental backUp will only wotk related to an initial Full Backup.

Bill_Hopkins
Level 3
> May be I am assuming something, but... did you
> completed a full backup previously. The differential
> or incremental backUp will only wotk related to an
> initial Full Backup.

Yes, I though of that too, full back up last Sunday, diff back on Monday, both backups are the same size or close to it. Both full and diff are time based..

Bill H.

Charles_Fiene
Not applicable
Check your antivirus software. Some will change the time/date stamp on a file when it is scanned. Also, check after your full backup to see if the archive bit has been turned off.

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

Please let us know if the above solution helped. Do revert with the results.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Bill_Hopkins
Level 3
> Check your antivirus software. Some will change the
> time/date stamp on a file when it is scanned. Also,
> check after your full backup to see if the archive
> bit has been turned off.

Hi Thnaks for the ideas. Anti virus software is set to scan only once a week before full backup. The archive bit looks like it is being turn off since only a few files that have been changed currently have it on. I'm backing up using mod time and not the archive bit in any case so I would think it should not make a differance.

Any other ideas?

Thnak you for all your help!

Bill H.

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello,

I request you to create a new differential backup job and check if that also gives the same results.

Regards

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Bill_Hopkins
Level 3
> Hello,
>
> I request you to create a new differential backup job
> and check if that also gives the same results.
>
> Regards
>

I created 2 new differential backup jobs, it did not change a thing and I recived the same results. The backup job is still backing up all the files on the server even though it is set to a differential job based on time.

Bill H.

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

Refer to the following technotes:

Title: Backup using "Differential/Incremental - using modified time" option tbacks up all the data rather than just the changed data
http://support.veritas.com/docs/277538

Title: When running a Differential or Incremental backup job, all files are backed up as if a Full Backup was run.
http://support.veritas.com/docs/190786

It seems that you have already followed the steps suggested in the above mentioned technotes. Do you get any error in the event logs? Also check for errors in the alerts tab in backup exec. Were the differentail backups running well before? Does the problem occur for all types of backups or some specific ones?

Revert with details to the above questions.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Regards.

kishore_dudde1
Not applicable
how do one check if the archive bit is turned off or not.

iam having the same problem of the differentail backing up all the files on the server