cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NDMP?? 11D 7170 with tape library and an EMC Celerra NS20 with NAS

jiambor
Level 3
We just got ourselves a brand new EMC storage solution.  It is an EMC NS20 that is set up so that we can have shares accessed right from the unit (NAS).  The system will emulate a windows server and present shares to users, but it is not a windows server (so can't install agent).  The EMC tech believes NDMP would help us with our backup needs, but I am not finding that to be so.  We have a 2003 server with Backup Exec 11D 7170 installed with a HP MSL 6030 tape robot attached to it.  The unit has one drive of two capable.  We want to be able to back up the NAS without having to logon a server and map the share out.  Can we use NDMP to pull the info from the Celerra and either B2D or B2T on the BExec media server? 
1 REPLY 1

Shadow
Not applicable
We also have just purchased a NS20 to consolidate disk storage.  We also have a EMC DL210 for disk-to-disk backup.  With NDMP enabled and the Agent License loaded on Backup Exec, I cannot backup anything other than the NS20 to the DL210.  Backup Exec will log an error when defining a new job for another resource on the network that states you cannot backup a non NDMP resource to a NDMP resource.  In talking to EMC about how other customers configure backup for the NS20, they stated that they have disk-to-disk directly attached(or zoned - fibre channel) to the NS20 and then a tape drive attached to the disk-to-disk to write off to tape.   My understanding of using NDMP is Backup Exec is requesting the NS20 to back itself up instead of the backup server performing the backup.

Our original configuration has 2 backup servers with 2 hbas each zoned to the disk-to-disk and tape library.  Everything is backed up over the network to the backup servers and out to the disk-to-disk and then a duplicate job runs that copies from the disk-to-disk to the tape library.

I have just turned off NDMP on the NS20 and will be testing backing up the NS20 over the network.  You have to enable selection of user shares under the options tab, networking and security.

A question to you: have you thought about virus protection on the NS20 and if so, what are you using?