cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Backup Exec WITHOUT any SQLServer or MSDE !?

pscpsc
Level 2
On a customers server, is allready a MSDE installed, we have no access to this MSDE. It´s not allowed to access this MSDE.

BackupExec must be directly installed on THIS server.
No change to install MSDE on others Servers/PC.

So the only way is install Backup Exec without MSDE or SQL-Server ..... or sell another backup product.

Best
Peter
4 REPLIES 4

John_Chisari
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Backup Exec will install another instance of MSDE, calling it BKUPEXEC - this will be totally separate to the MSDE instance that is currently installed on the server.

You can also use a SQL instance on either the local or remote server.

There is no other way around this - BE needs a SQL database to be able to function.

pscpsc
Level 2
I wrote allready, that i CAN NOT use a remote Server.

The existing MSDE is from the main financial accounting system, so we have the biggest trouble if something goes wrong !

The main question is:
Why the hell, a backup software need a SQL Database ???

John_Chisari
Level 6
Partner Accredited
As I wrote, you have to use an MSDE or SQL instance of some soft with BE - if you can't use this for whatever reason you have, then you will need to look at other backup software.

As I said, BE will NOT use the existing instance of MSDE, it will create a new instance called BKUPEXEC and use that.

I know of alot of customers that do this without any problems. It is actually why MS designed MSDE and SQL to be able to be installed into different instances, so if something goes wrong with 1 of them, the other should still be working OK.

Shilpa_pawar_2
Level 6
Hi,

As informed earlier Backup Exec requires MSDE for installation. However BE can install its own MSDE instance which would work separately from any other instance on the server. It will not affect the functioning of the other instance.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.