cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Help in Setting Include/Exclude

Yair_Glikman
Level 4

Hello Guys,

I am new to backup exec, I have read the Admin guilde, but i am really streesed as i need to implement BE allready.

I am using 3 X 2 TB External USB Disks, that i am rotating

Every week, on sunday, i insert new disk, the old one is sent to offsite, we uselly have 2 at work, and 1 allways at offsite.

We are intrsted in saving the data 3 months backs, so i have created new media set for 12 weeks.

1. I am selecting incremental using Modified time in the job, now, when i doing this first backup, is it full ? I can see, after it completes in restore it did everything, but is this considerd as full backup?

i am asking this because after 12 weeks, will it basicly do new "full" ? because this incremental will be replace.

2. After i have passed 3 disks, and the first one is coming again, the next incremental on him, i hope it will include all the changes since he was in use(3 weeks ago) - and not only changes from last disk, is this correct ?

3) I have issues with include/exclude, i want to exclude the PST files from the volume backups and backup them with "copy-files" option and not incrementaly.

for this i have created policy with 2 jobs for same selection.

- 1 Do incremental job with PST files excluded

- 1 Do Copy-Files JOB - for some reason i can only select exclude and not include for PST

- How do i do this then?

3 REPLIES 3

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

1)   When you use INCR or DIFF, you really should do periodic FULLs also, else you may need every INCR ever run to recover everything.   If you do NOT do a FULL, the first of either will, in effect, be a full, as you have seen

from what you describe, I would create a FULL and an INCR job and associated media set.  Make the OPP 90 days and the APP zero (never append).  Make both jobs overwrite only (IMHO,  all  disk based jobs should be overwrite only)

Schedule the FULL on Sunday and the INCR the rest of the week

2)  After i have passed 3 disks, and the first one is coming again, the next incremental on him, i hope it will include all the changes since he was in use(3 weeks ago) - and not only changes from last disk, is this correct

No, it will only backup changes since the last INCR.  That's why I recommend a FULL every Sunday and INCR the rest of the week 

3)  Not sure why you cannot include only the PST files?  How do you have your include set up?

Yair_Glikman
Level 4

I am now clueless, i feel this software is too complicated.

here is what i did according to you:

1. New Policy that include 2 Jobs

- Sunday Full

options used: Full - Using Modified time

Use The Microsoft Change Journal if Able

Append to media, overwrite if no appendable media is avaivble

linked to media set named - 3 Month

- Daily Incremental (from monday to next sunday)

Incremental - Using Modified time

Use The Microsoft Change Journal if Able

linked to media set named - 3 Month

2. Created media set Named 3 Month, with OOP 90 Days, and APP (hours) to Zero

Are those values are correct?

what i expect to get here, please, the ability to restore from last 3 months.

i dont understand the sunday full, i am backing up 1TB data, and i am trying to save space.

what the sunday full will do exacly, will it just backup all the data again(1TB) or will it fix latest incrementals ...

basiclly.. i am clueless.. help me..

my requirements as follow.

1TB of data to backup

3 Rotation disks

every week another disk take place and should contain incremntals of the current week, when the same disk comes back after 3 weeks, he should contain all the data changed since he was last used.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

If you only run one full (the first INCR or FULL) and then all INCR, any data that has never changed (system files for example or static user data), will never be backed up again.  If this happens, and the INCR that contains that data is over written, you cannot do a Disaster Recovery restore, only whatever user data is on the available INCRs

what the sunday full will do exacly, will it just backup all the data again(1TB) or will it fix latest incrementals ...

With my suggestion, you would get a full every Sunday night.  Depands on how far back you are willing to go you may want to run a Full on the last Friday or last business day of each month and INCR the rest of the month.

And you also need to consider how much it would cost your business to lose data as opposed to getting more External drives.

Prior to 2010R2, external drives were a beast to manage, but with R2, became quite a bit easier.

I would recommend not to use append for any disk based jobs.