cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help to install Backup exec 2012 at DC & DR site with data deduplication options

monsur
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hi all ,

I have purchased below mentioned  Backup exec 2012 software :

1. SYMC BACKUP EXEC 2012 SERVER WIN PER SERVER BNDL STD LIC EXPRESS BAND S   (quantity :1)

2.SYMC BACKUP EXEC 2012 AGENT FOR WINDOWS WIN PER SERVER BNDL STD LIC EXPRESS BAND S ESSENTIAL 12 MONTHS  (quantity :1)

3.SYMC BACKUP EXEC 2012 OPTION DEDUPLICATION WIN PER SERVER BNDL STD  (quantity :1) .

I have two windows server 2012 (standard edition) at DC and DR site. Also i have a tape drive at DC site .My requirment is i want to take backup into tape at DC site using deduplication option then i need to send that dedup data at DR site.So using my above mention license how can i install the backup exec 2012 software at DC & DR site using deduplication option. Also at DR site should i install backup exec agent ?

So give me the total solution .

BR/

Monsur

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

teiva-boy
Level 6

You don't have enough licenses.  At minimum for what you are asking requires the following Symantec Licenses.

2 - BackupExec media servers licenses (One for each site)

2 - BackupExec deduplicaction licenses (One for each media server)

1 - Enterprise Server Option (One required per managed BE environment there is a feature called CASO you need)

Maintenance for all licenses purchased,

Where are all you agents to actually perform backups?  All you can backup right now is the server BackupExec is installed on.

Here's the liecnsing guide for you to review:

http://eval.symantec.com/mktginfo/enterprise/other_resources/backup_exec_licensing_guide_21223660.en...

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

teiva-boy
Level 6

You don't have enough licenses.  At minimum for what you are asking requires the following Symantec Licenses.

2 - BackupExec media servers licenses (One for each site)

2 - BackupExec deduplicaction licenses (One for each media server)

1 - Enterprise Server Option (One required per managed BE environment there is a feature called CASO you need)

Maintenance for all licenses purchased,

Where are all you agents to actually perform backups?  All you can backup right now is the server BackupExec is installed on.

Here's the liecnsing guide for you to review:

http://eval.symantec.com/mktginfo/enterprise/other_resources/backup_exec_licensing_guide_21223660.en...

pkh
   VIP    Certified

1) You cannot install BE on a Windows 2012 server. This is not supported.  You can only install the remote agent on a Windows 2012 server to back it up.  See the SCL below

BE 2012 SCL

Right now, you can only use up till Server 2008 R2 for your media server.

2) In order to send your dedup data to the server at the DR site, you need to buy another BE licence with the dedup option for the DR server.  You would also need to buy the CASO option to share the dedup folders.  With this setup, you can then send use optimised duplication to duplicate your backups from one site to another.

monsur
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Thanks for the information (@ pkh&teiva boy). but now i have already purchased the below mentioned symantec licenses.

1. SYMC BACKUP EXEC 2012 SERVER WIN PER SERVER BNDL STD LIC EXPRESS BAND S   (quantity :1)

2.SYMC BACKUP EXEC 2012 AGENT FOR WINDOWS WIN PER SERVER BNDL STD LIC EXPRESS BAND S ESSENTIAL 12 MONTHS  (quantity :1)

3.SYMC BACKUP EXEC 2012 OPTION DEDUPLICATION WIN PER SERVER BNDL STD  (quantity :1

so  Now how can i use these license for my envirnments ??

BR/Monsur

pkh
   VIP    Certified

With these licences, you can install BE on 1 machine on ONE site and then backup another machine.

Vasilis_Peppas
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi

You have to  keep in mind that you cannot have a deduplicated backup to tape. Dedupe only works on disk. So if you want to send the data to the dr site (deduplicated) you need to have dedupe at the remote ite a well. Also you need the caso option so that you can duplicate your data automatically. otherwise you will have to export the data to tape (not deduplicated) to tape and then import the tapes to the dr site.

Also if you want to be legit, you have to get the additional licenses mentioned above.  Also mentioned above is that win server 2012 as a media server is still not supported

There is no way you can do what you mention legitimatly with the lics you have

monsur
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hi all ,

I have HP ProLiant DL380p Generation8 server with 2 TB hard disk . So after taking the data backup in above sceniario ,should i able to dedup data in local server of 2 TB hd or for deduplication another storage device is required ???