cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to backup files in a shared folder whenever the file changes.

willfred
Level 2

I need to backup files in a shared folder whenever the files are changed. How can I set this up so it is not user specific? Can you set up Backup Exec to backup a shared folder and files to backup whenever there are changes no matter who is logged into the computer? I don’t want backups of these files in each user’s profile. Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4

Steve_W_
Level 6
Employee Accredited

DLO is designed to backup users personal directories.  You might want to look at something Like Continuous Protection Server (CPS) for this need.  CPS is designed to do constant replication of any specified folder. 

Simoon
Level 3
Employee Accredited Certified

That is exactly what Backup Exec Continuous Protection does. It is an included option of BE for replication of file deltas at point of write. Ideal for user home directories.

It replicates the entire share, then dletas to files as files change. Versioning can be set to afford fallback to prior copies. End user access can be allowed through BERetrieve (web front end that allows users to restore data that they have rights to) 

Requires a W2K3 server for the data storage (VSS req.) and a domain.

willfred
Level 2

Ok so I need to install the CPS client, when I add the Key to begin the install it says that it is for “Remote Agent for Windows, Small Business and NetWare Servers”. Is this the CPS, or is there another install file I have to use? And then once installed I just go to Tools>Continuous Protection Server? Thanks again for your help.

Simoon
Level 3
Employee Accredited Certified

Wilfred,

Lost track of this thread.

What has happened?

BE and CPS are two different products really, one cd for be another for CPS. Both are included in a BE media kit or download.

You must install CPS on a 2003 server which may be the BE server as well. Clients can be deployed from the CPS console. Licensing should not be an issue. 

Let me know.