cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetWare to Windows restore

Stephen_Smith
Level 3
Partner
I am trying to restore a bunch of PST files backed up from a NetWare server to a Windows 2000 server. Some restore ok but others fail with the error message "sparse data format is incompatible with the restore target". The ones that fail, do actually restore but have a file size of 0 and cannot be opened.

The files were backed up with the 'Backup compressed files in decompressed form' option selected. It is my understanding that selecting this option should overcome this issue. However, it hasn't.

Any help would be much appreciated. Also, restoring the files to a NetWare server is not an option as the server is dead.
5 REPLIES 5

criley
Employee Accredited
Stephen,

Yes, you are correct. If you chose the 'Backup compressed files in decompressed form' you should be able to restore to a Windows box:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/278700

So, I'm not sure why some data is restored but some is not. Your only option may be to install a temporary NetWare box and restore back to that:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/209269

Chris

padmaja_rajopad
Level 6
Hi,

Could you update us on the issue?

Regards
Padmaja

Stephen_Smith
Level 3
Partner
Hi there,

This is not really a resolution. I have done what is required (ticked the appropriate option) and am still unable to restore to a Windows server. Are you sure there is no way to restore these files to Windows?

Regards,
Steve

criley
Employee Accredited
Well, unless anyone else has ideas on this I'd suggest that you open up a case with Symantec.

Chris

Amruta_Bhide
Level 6
Hello,

We assume that you do have Compression enabled on the Netware Server and therefore have selected the Option to backup files in a decompressed format.

Could you confirm if the Backupx of these files, are going fine without any Problem? Do you see the correct Byte Count there?

Thanks
Regards