cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Installation Help

WorldBuilder
Level 4

Hello everyone,

First, please let me say that I am NOT an expert with this stuff.  So I bring it to you, the BE gurus!  Several years ago, at my previous job, I took over as the "backup administrator" when we had a previously built system (BackUp Exec DataCenter Edition, I believe v.10-something)...

Anyway, it's been a looong time since those day (about 4 years).

I am now the technology manager of an education fund that has NEVER had a backup system.  Hell, they never had a real infrastructure...  Grrrrrr....  Well, they do now!  Here is what I have built...

1. Domain Controller - Active Directory on Server 2008 R2 x64
  2. E-Mail - Exchange 2010 on Server 2008 R2 x64
  3. Two file servers (one is Server 2008 R2 x64 and the other is Server 2003 32-bit)
  4. Application Server - Running a few school-specific apps.  Will eventually run SQL Server 2008 Standard , but for right now simply has a "Lite" version of SQL 2005 installed by the app that needs it.  I know almost nothing about SQL...  Running on Server 2003 32-bit.
  5. A ForeFront TMG Enterprise 2010 Server on Server 2008 R2 x64
  6. ReadAbout - A "server (basically just a really powerful PC) that runs ONE app called "ReadAbout".  It's a self-contained app requiring no database or anything.  So my guess is that it will need to be backed up like a file server...  Running Server 2003.
  7. A Server 2003 32-bit print server
  8. A Server 2003 32-bit "Anti-Virus" server (Trend Micro WFBS 6)
  9. A Server 2003 32-bit "Support" server running WSUS
  10. My "backup" server, which is running Server 2008 R2 x64.  Attached is a StorageTek L20 tape library with two IBM LTO2 drives.

I have purchased Backup Exec 2010 R2 "Not For Resale" Edition from TechSoup.    Apparently, this is somewhat different than a traditionally-purchased product.  Here are the details if you're interested.  From that page, one thing strikes me as particularly beneficial:

Agents and options extend platform and feature support for Backup Exec environments. An unlimited number of these agents can be used within a network, allowing for multiple instances of agents to protect several servers. Click the following link for a list of all Backup Exec agents and options. The version of Backup Exec available through TechSoup includes all of the available agents and options.

OK, so here goes...

I have downloaded the horrifyingly-gargantuan Admin Guide for BE 2010.  I have started perusing it.  While doing that, I wonder if I could ask a few questions.  I have NOT installed BE 2010 yet, but I have put it in to look at options.  ;)

1.  On this backup server, I'm somewhat concerned about the connected tape library I mentioned above.  In Device Manager, it shows up simply as "Unknown Medium Changer".  I don't see the drives specifically being referenced, just this.  Huh?  The tape library and drives were donated to me from my previous employer and are several years old (probably 5).  I find it hard to believe that Server 2008 R2 doesn't know what these things are...  Will this cause problems?

2.  I can't think of any reason to back up the following aforementioned servers:

1. Print Server
  2. Anti-Virus Server
  3. Support Server
  4. TMG Server
  5. The backup server itself

Can you?  There's no data that I can think of that's on them to back up...

3.  Assuming that's correct, that leaves backing up the DC, Mail, 3 file servers (factoring in ReadAbout), and the Application server.  Correct?  Then, what do I need to install on them?  Just RAWS?  Anything else?  Do I want Advanced Open File Option installed on all these remote machines, just some of them, or none of them?

So when I go to install BE 2010 (I've run the pre-installation checklist and it comes back good), what options do I want?  It seems as though I need:

1. All the defaults, plus...
  2. Advanced Open File Option (don't know what this is, but I think I want it.  Do I?)
  3. Microsoft Exchange Mailbox Archiving
  4. Active Directory Recovery Agent
  5. Agent for Microsoft Exchange Server
  6. Agent for Microsoft SQL Server

Based on what I mentioned above, do I need anything else?  Am I missing anything?  And do I really need the Exchange Archiving above and beyond the Exchange Agent?  Space on the Exchange Server (mailbox store) is not an issue, so what does the Archiving really give me?

4.  "Enable Robotic Library Support" is checked by default, but grayed out.  In addition, "Virtual Tape Library Support" is also checked by default, but I can clear that if I choose.  What concerns me is that the "Feature Description" of Robotic Library Support says, "Support for one drive in every robotic library is included with Backup Exec.  Each additional drive in a library requires a Library Expansion Option license."  Well, my library has two drives.  So does this mean only one would work?  And if so, how can I get a hold of one of these LEOs, because according to TechSoup, I should have all that as part of this purchase.

5.  The Backup Exec Continuous Protection Server...  What's the deal with this?  When I click to "test" install, the License Key I have for Backup Exec does not fit into the fields.  But...  It does fit if I make an "A" an "a"...  Then it tells me that it's "Accepted", but there is still a link to purchase it.  So is this a valid key or not?  Confused...  And do I need this?  What's it really do?

Whew...  I think that's it for now.  I apologize for the long-winded post, but I wanted to be as detailed as possible.  I'm sure a great deal of my questions are quite foolish, but please chalk it up to me being a n00b.  Forgive me, for I know not what I do...  ;)

Thanks in advance for any help!

Chris

16 REPLIES 16

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi Chris 

Lengthy forum thread but I will give a try to answer most of your queries.

1) The autoloader will appear as "Unknown Medium Changer" if its configured to use

Microsoft drivers(recommended). Before installing Backup Exec check the compatibility

list and make sure the device is listed in the supported hardware list. Backup Exec core

product license supports 1 tape drive per library for every additional tape drive a

LEO(Library Expansion Option) is required. Since you have "Not For Resale" then 

you don't need anything else, everything is included in the same license key.

BE2010 Hardware Compatibility List http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH137050

2) Out of the 5 server I strongly feel you should backup the "Backup Server". Regarding

other servers you should think about backing up C drive, System State & Shadow Copy

Components,if there is disaster recovery situation then the above backup will come

handy to rebuild server.

3) In order to backup any Windows server you will have to install "Remote Agent for  

Windows" on the remote server.Also activate Remote Agent for Exchange, Active

Directory Recovery Agent and Remote agent for SQL option in the BE console click on

Tools-> Install Options and license key. About AOFO its required for Windows 2000 

servers to backup open files. Win 2003 onwards there is VSS from Microsoft which 

helps to take backup of open files.

4) I have already answered your question about the additional drive in point#1

5) Continuous Protection server comes along with the "Remote Agent" license which 

allows you to take continuous backup of the Exchange server. Its not integrated with 

BE console.

I am note sure if you will require the Mailbox Archiving option, below is the description of

the same.

Lets you archive Microsoft Exchange Server emails that have been backed up.
After data is archived, it is deleted from its source location, which reduces the amount of data on the Exchange Server.

The Archiving Option uses Enterprise Vault technology to move archive data to disk-based vault stores. Only data that is already backed up is archived so that there is little affect on the Exchange server. End users can retrieve current and previous versions of files by browsing a web interface called Backup Exec Retrieve)

WorldBuilder
Level 4

Hi Amol,

Thanks for the info!  I'm going to start giving it a go on Monday.  Have a good weekend!

Chris

WorldBuilder
Level 4

Hi again, Amol.

OK, I have gotten BE 2010 R2 loaded with all the bells & whistles I believe I need.  Thanks!  Still one issue, and that's the driver for the StorageTek L20 and drives.

In Windows Server 2008 R2, I still only see "Unknown Medium Changer" and no drives listed separately.  If I go into the Devices Pool in BE 2010, I see "STK 0001" with two "Unknown Devices".

Grrrrrrrrrrr.....

Now, I have gotten NOWHERE with SUN/Oracle.  Apparently, you cannot download a driver for this thing without a "maintenance contract".  But why should I buy a maintenance contract until I know for sure that this thing works?  If it doesn't (though I think it works fine), I'd rather go get something newer and properly supported!

Is there anyone who could tell me where to get a driver for a StorageTek L20 Tape Library for Server 2008 R2 x64, please?

Thanks!

Chris

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If you have a tape library, your library should be listed under the Device Manager as Unknown Medium Changer with a Microsoft driver.  The tape drive(s) in the library should be listed seperately under Tape Devices as its actual name, e.g. HP Ultrium 4.

If Windows cannot recognise the tape device then BE will not be able use it.

You can try to install the Symantec drivers for the tape drive by using the tapeinst.exe program in the BE installation directory.

WorldBuilder
Level 4

Hi pkh,

I agree.  The first problem I have is that I don't know what exact drives are IN the library.  I know they're IBM LTO2 drives, but that's about it.  I opened up the back of the L20 to try to get a closer look to no avail.  :(  And the admin page I linked to above gives me little info as far as what exactly they are.

So...

A.)  How can I install a driver for the drives when I don't know exactly what they are?  And...

B.)  Even if I could find that out and download the correct driver, how can I install them if Device Manager doesn't even see them?

Thanks!

Chris

WorldBuilder
Level 4

Hi guys,

I just noticed something else as well.  Boatloads of errors in the System Log in Windows.  Happens every time I reboot the server. Have a look.  I'll be damned if I know what it all means or how to fix it.  But it all certainly seems to indicate a problem related to all this...

Sorry, it's pretty long...

Level    Date and Time    Source    Event ID    Task Category

Error    11/2/2010 10:53:26 AM    Service Control Manager    7000    None    "The Stek9714 service failed to start due to the following error:
The system cannot find the device specified.

Error    11/2/2010 10:53:23 AM    Service Control Manager    7000    None    "The vsmraid service failed to start due to the following error:
The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it."

Error    11/2/2010 10:53:23 AM    Service Control Manager    7000    None    "The vhdmp service failed to start due to the following error:
The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it."

Error    11/2/2010 10:53:23 AM    Service Control Manager    7000    None    "The stexstor service failed to start due to the following error:

Error    11/2/2010 10:53:23 AM    Service Control Manager    7000    None    "The SiSRaid4 service failed to start due to the following error:

Error    11/2/2010 10:53:23 AM    Service Control Manager    7000    None    "The SiSRaid2 service failed to start due to the following error:

Error    11/2/2010 10:53:23 AM    Service Control Manager    7000    None    "The ql40xx service failed to start due to the following error:

Error    11/2/2010 10:53:23 AM    Service Control Manager    7000    None    "The ql2300 service failed to start due to the following error:

Error    11/2/2010 10:53:23 AM    Service Control Manager    7000    None    "The nvstor service failed to start due to the following error:

Error    11/2/2010 10:53:23 AM    Service Control Manager    7000    None    "The nfrd960 service failed to start due to the following error:

Error    11/2/2010 10:53:22 AM    Service Control Manager    7000    None    "The msahci service failed to start due to the following error:

Error    11/2/2010 10:53:22 AM    Service Control Manager    7000    None    "The MegaSR service failed to start due to the following error:

Error    11/2/2010 10:53:22 AM    Service Control Manager    7000    None    "The megasas service failed to start due to the following error:

Error    11/2/2010 10:53:22 AM    Service Control Manager    7000    None    "The LSI_SCSI service failed to start due to the following error:

Error    11/2/2010 10:53:22 AM    Service Control Manager    7000    None    "The LSI_SAS2 service failed to start due to the following error:

Error    11/2/2010 10:53:22 AM    Service Control Manager    7000    None    "The LSI_SAS service failed to start due to the following error:

Error    11/2/2010 10:53:22 AM    Service Control Manager    7000    None    "The LSI_FC service failed to start due to the following error:

Error    11/2/2010 10:53:22 AM    Service Control Manager    7000    None    "The iirsp service failed to start due to the following error:

Error    11/2/2010 10:53:22 AM    Service Control Manager    7000    None    "The iaStorV service failed to start due to the following error:

Error    11/2/2010 10:53:22 AM    Service Control Manager    7000    None    "The elxstor service failed to start due to the following error:

Error    11/2/2010 10:53:22 AM    Service Control Manager    7000    None    "The arcsas service failed to start due to the following error:

Error    11/2/2010 10:53:22 AM    Service Control Manager    7000    None    "The arc service failed to start due to the following error:

Error    11/2/2010 10:53:22 AM    Service Control Manager    7000    None    "The amdsbs service failed to start due to the following error:

Error    11/2/2010 10:53:22 AM    Service Control Manager    7000    None    "The amdsata service failed to start due to the following error:

Error    11/2/2010 10:53:22 AM    Service Control Manager    7000    None    "The adpu320 service failed to start due to the following error:

Error    11/2/2010 10:53:22 AM    Service Control Manager    7000    None    "The adpahci service failed to start due to the following error:

Error    11/2/2010 10:53:22 AM    Service Control Manager    7000    None    "The adp94xx service failed to start due to the following error:

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...I deleted the post. This isn't a lesson in English and grammar!

@WorldBuilder: Those look like hardware issues to me, and I would suggest updating the firmware and drivers on those devices first. Reboot, and check if they are gone.

what make of server is this?

Craig

WorldBuilder
Level 4

Hi Craig,

LOL!  You might as well delete my "What?" post as well because now that makes no sense, either...  Hahahaha.

OK, here's the deal as of today...  I agree that those look like hardware errors, but I don't even know what device is in question.  What I do know is that I have ALL the latest firmware and drivers for every device on this box (except the L20 and LTO2 drives).

Speaking of the box, it is an HP DL380 G4 running Server 2008 R2 x64.

Now, here's what's going on with the whole "StorageTek/SUN/Oracle" deal...  According to everything I have read or been told over the last week, drivers for the StorageTek L20 are NOT available to the public.  You can ONLY get them if you have a "maintenance contract" from the manufacturer.  Well, the manufacturer is GONE, so Oracle is all that's left...

And they're not very forthcoming about helping.  Bottom line is that I have basically been strong-armed into buying a 12-month maintenance agreement, which I am doing now.  What I THINK will happen is that I will be allowed to download a Server 2008 x64 driver for the L20.  Once installed, I expect the two IBM drives inside it to show up.  Then I'll be able to install drivers for those.

That's the hope, anyway.  I'll keep y'all posted.

It's a step in the right direction, but it is extremely annoying to be in such a position, especially when I got this damn thing (L20 and drives) for FREE from my previous employer!  Free has gotten awfully expensive...  :(

CraigV

Yeah...in South Africa, and in the Afrikaans language, they have a saying: goed koop is duur koop. Since I don't expect you to understand, it basically means cheaper is almost always nastier! So you got the hospital pass by getting the free hardware. :) I personally hate those, having had the same before...

From HP's side of things, you can look at downloading the latest PSP (ProLiant Support Pack), you can run a manual installation to update HP's drivers.

I found this list of drivers for Sun hardware...not sure if you have seen it? You might be able to download a driver for Server 2003 and install it to see if this clear things up a bit...

http://in.sun.com/download/index.jsp?cat=Hardware%20Drivers&tab=3&subcat=Storage

Laters!

WorldBuilder
Level 4

Hi again Craig,

Oh believe me, I get the "you get what you pay for" mantra.  I knew I'd have to get a support contract.  Hell, I'd WANT one simply because this is a high-speed mechanical device, and it's gonna have issues.  I get that.  But I never imagined I'd have to get it before I'm even allowed to download a simple driver.

That is just plain stupid...

As far as the PSP, I have it.  Have for weeks.  Like I said, I'm 100% certain that all the drivers are correct and the latest.

As far as that URL, it's actually kind of funny because I've had that as a loaded Firefox tab for the last two weeks.  You're absolutely right, the 20th item listed is the driver I need.  But I can't download it because I don't have a username and password with sufficient rights to download!  That's one of the things I'll get as part of the maintenance agreement.

So now I'm just waiting for Oracle, in their infinite insanity, to give me that...

CraigV

Cool man...post back with the results :)

And good luck! :)

WorldBuilder
Level 4

SUCCESS!

After God know how many weeks, I got the tape library and tape drives to at least show up in Windows!  Gone is the "Unknown Medium Changer" and drives themselves not even being there...

I now have a StorageTek L20 and two IBM LTO drives.  The L20 is using the SUN(Oracle)-provided driver (which cost me $1,380 bucks) and now that the tape drives are showing up, they are now using Symantec's driver.

Sweet...  Now?  On to actually creating jobs and backing up some data!

I'm sure I'll have questions about that...  You'll see me around, no doubt!  THANKS!

Chris

CraigV

Crud that is expensive!!! Glad you came right :)

WorldBuilder
Level 4

Hey Craig,

Well, to be fair, the $1,380 is for an entire year of phone support and on-site support (2 hour response time) if ANYTHING in this L20 craps out.  It dies, it gets fixed...  Even the two drives are covered, and those are IBM tape drives.

Therefore I could justify the cost.

I'm not pissed about that.  I'm a little annoyed that I had to get that before I could even download the damn driver, though...  That's a tad excessive on Oracle's part...

You'll see me around, I'm sure!  I've never used BE 2010 and it's been 3 years since I saw ANY version of BE...

THANKS!

Chris

Dibble
Not applicable

Hey, Chris ... are you still getting those Service Control Manager 7000 errors after a reboot?  A couple of days ago, I installed BE 2010 R2 on an HP DL360 G5 running Server 2008 R2 Standard x64.  After the next reboot, the System Event Log had 7000 errors for devices adp94xx, adpahci, amdsata, amdsbs, arc, arcsas, elxstor, iaStorV, iirsp, LSI_SAS, LSI_SAS2, megasas, MegaSR, msahci, nfrd960, nvstor, ql2300, ql40xx, SiSRaid2, SiSRaid4, stexstor, vhdmp, and vsmraid.  That's a lot of overlap with your list.  I worked with Symantec Technical Support today (which led me to your post), and they had no explanation for the errors.  Our backups are working, and the errors may be innocuous.  It would be nice to know what's causing them, though.

Thanks,

Larry

WorldBuilder
Level 4

Hi Larry,

Yep, still gettin' those errors every single time the server boots up.  Don't yet know wheter it's negatively affecting anything or not, though...

Chris