cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Media inventory indicates <unknown media>

Scott_Spearman
Level 3
I am a new user of Backup Exec 10.00 for Windows and I have it running on Windows 2000. I am using DLT IV tapes on a Dell Powervault 110 T.

I just inserted a brand new tape and after running inventory BE states it is and I cannot do anything with it. Am I doing anything wrong? Am I supposed to do something else first before inventory?

Thanks

Scott Spearman
6 REPLIES 6

Aalok_Pathak_2
Level 6
-- Re-install latest Veritas device drivers.

-- --Disable removable storage (RSM) service. In most of the cases, it has been seen that VERITAS device driver does not work properly with RSM. Please refer to the following technote:

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/231679.htm

-- Again, perform an Inventory operation and observe the result.

Vidyaj__Patneka
Level 6
Hello,

Kindly update us on the issue,

NOTE : If we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be 'assumed answered' and archived.

Charlene_Clark
Not applicable
I have installed the latest drivers and disabled the Remote Storage service and am still getting the same error as this guy. I was able to get an inventory to run but the when I try to label the tape it fails. I have tried both an AIT2 and AIT3 tape. My drive is a Sony SDX-700V.

Scott_Spearman
Level 3
New tapes are still showing up as . But I can insert the tape and backups will run on them and then I can label them. I wish I could label them before the backup, right after I insert the tape. But I do have good backups and not being able to label the tape before the backup is a nuisance but not a big deal.

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Try power cycling the device after disactivating and deleting it as follows

http://support.veritas.com/docs/268626

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

Madhuri_Shenoy
Level 6
As per our previous reply, marking the case as "assumed answered" and moving it to "answered questions" pool.