cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New server, new tape library, migrate and upgrade to BE 2012

rgreg
Level 3

Hi all,

We will be introducing a new server + tape library to our infrastructure and I was wondering what you guys recommend in our case.

Current scenario:

- Dell Poweredge R710, Windows 2008R2, BE 2010 R3SP2, Central Administration Server, connected to 2x Tape Libraries

- Dell Poweredge 710, Windows 2008R2, BE 2010 R3SP2, Managed Media Server, connected to 1x tape library.

New scenario:

Introduction/addition of a Poweredge R720, Windows 2008R2 or 2012R2, BE2012, connected to 1x tape library....

I am just trying to work out whether it is best to migrate the current BE CAS to the new server (installing BE 2012 in the process) then downgrading the current BE CAS to BE MMS and then upgrade both BE 2010 R3 server to 2012....

I am in the process of downloading documentation and watch the tutorial videos provided  by Symantec. It looks to me that this is going to be a huge task and want to get things prepared as soon as.

I would appreciate if you guys could comment/share your opinions/experience on the best way to tackle this.

Thanks in anticipation.

Ric

2 REPLIES 2

lmosla
Level 6

use the steps Upgrading to Central Administration Server Option 2012 

also know that though Backup Exec 2012 R2 can protect Windows 2012 is not yet supported as a Media server. 

rgreg
Level 3

Hi Imosla,

If I upgrade the existing CAS + Managed Media server; how can I introduce the brand new server and promote it to be the new CAS?

I would like the current CAS to be "downgraded" to Managed Media Server during the process.

Regards