Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to Backup exec 2012

jason_blake
Level 4

Hi.

Im new to Backup Exec 2012.. 

Im putting in some new hardware and am configuring a backup Server. I want to backup an Exchange Server and SQL Server currenty installed on other Servers. 

In older versions of backup exec you could install Paid for SQL and Exchange Agents on the remote servers and backup the data to the Backup Exec Server.

Im not sure what product I need on the 2012 range to accomplish this. 

Is this correct.

Symantec Backup Exec 2012 Server - complete package

AND

Symantec Backup Exec 2012 Agent Applications and database V14.0 Box with 12 months Basic Support

9 REPLIES 9

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Hi From your above comment Symantec Backup Exec 2012 Server - complete package AND Symantec Backup Exec 2012 Agent Applications and database V14.0 Box with 12 months Basic Support It looks like ,you are licensed to backup Exchange and SQL and Share point and active directory license as these agent are part of Application and database licenses. Also check Symantec Backup Exec™ Portfolio Licensing Guide www.emea.symantec.com/.../BE 2012_customer_license_guide.pdf Thanks

SuperBrain
Employee Accredited

Like backup-exec mentioned above, your licenses are alright.

As far as the remote server installation part is concerned, it works the same way as it did for earlier Backup Exec version you used.

Apart from the licenses that you install on media server, you will need to install Agent for Windows Systems (same as RAWS in earlier versions) on you Exchange/SQL remote servers in order to perform a successful backup of databases.

See How to install Backup Exec 2012 Agent for Windows for more details.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...1 Agent for Applications & Databses doesn't cover infinite servers...you need 1 of these licenses PER DB/Application server you back up, so please keep that in mind.

jason_blake
Level 4

Thanks for your reply Bhavik.

Are you sure I would also need to purchase 2 Agents for windows ? Does not buying the Agent for Applications and Databases entitle you to backup the Exchange or SQL database on the remote server ?

I understand I would need to purchase 2 licenses of the Agent for Applications and Databases ?

Jason

SuperBrain
Employee Accredited

CraigV is right about the licenses, I misunderstood your requirement as Exchange/SQL instead of Exchange & SQL blush

jason_blake
Level 4

Thanks again for the reply Bhavik. I gather a agent for Application and database license will allow me to backup a Exchange or SQL database on a remote server ? Do I also need the Agent for windows license as well as the server is remote ?

SuperBrain
Employee Accredited

Application and Database licenses will allow you to backup an Exchange or SQL database on a remote server.

You don't need the Agent for Windows license as it comes bundled with Application and Database licnese.

You can also contact the licensing department on 1 800 327 2232 (US) - Option 1 thn Option 2 smiley

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If you have both Exchange AND SQL Server on the same server, you would need 2 Agent for Applications and Databases to back them up.  The Agent for Applications and Databases licence is per application and per server.  See the document below

2012 Portfolio Licensing Guide

mrj803
Level 0

Just to make sure I understand you correctly. If I have licenses for Application and Database I don't need to install the Agent for Windows on my Exchange servers. Because I have the Agent for Windows installed on my exchange servers and the backup job fails with a message that I don't I have the correct agent installed. I notice when I created the backup job and was selection the files to backup; I could see the Information Stores; but all of them was sized as 0 bytes.