cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nightly backup alerts end of media...

Aaron_DiBari
Level 2
Hello all,

I have a customer that is running Backup Exec 9.10 build 0306 on a Novell Small Business Server (NetWare 6), and their nightly backup has recently begun giving Alerts towards the end of the backup job. The text of the alert is as follows:

End of media has been detected on media '4MM_000030'.
Please insert media into the drive 'HA:0 ID:6 LUN:0

COMPAQ
20/40GB DAT DRV' for the 'Daily' operation.
Press Y to continue the operation.
Press N to cancel the operation. (Y/N) Y

As I mentioned this is a new occurance. The problem began one night when the server stopped communicating with the tape drive. After a restart of the server the tape drive was available again, however, these alerts have persisted. Once this alert has been received we cannot seem to get the job to continue. Inserting a brand new bank tape and telling Backup Exec top continue with the job produces the exact same alert. This alert is shown after an indicated 11.8GB of data is backed up (as you can see from the alert, it is a 20/40GB drive and tape). The backup policy is configured to overwrite, and I have been erasing the tapes each night prior to the backup job running (just to be sure).

The interesting thing is that I can kick this exact same backup job off during the day, and it completes without an alert (to a single tape). If I then schedule the same backup job to run at a scheduled time at night it fails with the above alert.

Can anyone think of a reason why this might be happening? It does not appear to make any difference what tapes are used. I have tried using the existing (known good) tapes as well as brand new tapes, and it is always the same symptoms.

Is there some sort of debug mode that can be used that would provide more information than just the alert log?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I would really like to resolve this so that my customer can successfully back up their server.

Thank you in advance,
Aaron DiBari
2 REPLIES 2

criley
Employee Accredited
That is a very old build of Backup Exec. I would start with updating this:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/282294

Swati_Joshi
Level 6
Accredited
Hi,

Please upgrade to 9.1 from the given link as 9.0 is no more supported.

And see if the problem still persists.

Thanks and regards,

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.