cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Shadow Copy Components on XP SP2 Remote

Steve_Snure
Level 3
I upgraded a Win2k machine to Win XP Pro SP2. When Win2k was installed BE backed up the remote client just fine. Now that I've upgraded to XP I had to manually reinstall the remote agent. From BE's console I can see the remote client and drive C$, but there are no drive items in the list that I can check to back up. Further, Shadow Copy Components is not listed. This happens on existing or newly created jobs. Also, I tested the Resource Credentials and see that "successful" is shown for the client name, but both the client's utility partition and CLIENT\C: are shown as "not tested". Any help would be greatly appreciated.
2 REPLIES 2

Madhuri_Shenoy
Level 6
Hello Steve,

Which account are you using for the backups? Does this account have domain admin. rights? And morever, is this the default account. You could check that under Network > Logon accounts.

It could also be related to the issues when beremote.exe and XP SP 2 have to work together. Please read the following links for further information:

1.) http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;873164

2.) http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;842242

Thanks!

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Steve_Snure
Level 3
Madhuri - Thanks for your reply. I thought that the XP machine had Windows Firewall turned off. I was incorrect. I followed the links you provided and modified the XP box firewall exceptions tab to include the following.

1) Added port 10000. For security I changed the scope to "only on my subnet".

2) Added "beremote.exe" to the Program List and changed the scope to "only on my subnet".

This resolved my problem of not being able to see the selectable checkboxes for this machine's C: drive and System State in my backup job. What confused me was that I could see the XP machine's shares - "C$" and "Drive-C" (neither of which is accessible for backup) which I assumed indicated that I had valid credentials to access the workstation.