cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No public Folders backed up (2010)

Marcopolo
Level 6
We recently amended our backup due to some problems after upgrading from 12.5 (we're running 2010 on 2003 to backup Ex2003 on Svr2003) on the advise of Symantec.

(These were to disable Legacy Backup under Exchange options, and in BackUp options select Granular)

Having looked at recent backups after the changes, Mailbox is fine when I drill down to the information store and I can see the Public Folder selected.

When I check restores, I can see no public folders to select from within the IS structure

Any ideas or is this another call to their support department?
9 REPLIES 9

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
Is the backup to tape or to disk?

If the backup is to tape you won't be able to drill down into the public folders.  You will need to run a duplicate job to duplicate the public folder to disk then you should be able to drill down into

Marcopolo
Level 6
The backup is to tape

So are you saying even though the backup allows the selection of public folders as part of the IS, you can select them but it doesn't back them up?

If the backup was set to disk, then I could?

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
So are you saying even though the backup allows the selection of public folders as part of the IS, you can select them but it doesn't back them up? -
No, If they were selected to backup then it was backed up.  What I'm saying is that GRT (Granular Restore) functionality is not available for Public Folders when backing up to tape. You can still recover the entire Public Folder store if the need comes up.

If you were to backup to disk instead of tape, then you would the ability to restore individual items from the Public Folders.  Also, as I mentioned before if you run a duplicate job of the Public folders that were backed up to tape over to a Backup to Disk folder, then you can restore individual items from that backup.

Marcopolo
Level 6
I've now run a backup to disk of the public folder under IS and it now shows the 'public folders' (instead of the 'none') from a restore view, but not brick level!

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
The data for the public folder is there on the tape but to restore the public folder it need to be duplicated to disk , this is because the of the mapi limitation that it cannot write the catalog infromation to the tape for the public folder

Marcopolo
Level 6
So is this a restriction of 2010 and backing up the information store using granular, because using 12.5 this was not a problem?

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee

No, this is the way it has been since 11.0  It is also documented in the Admin guide for all versions since 11.0.

Marcopolo
Level 6
I don't agree that is the case at all. If I go back to my backups before 2010 was installed I can select public folders and drill down and select which one I want

Here's an example of a restore selection

I go to the tree I can see 'public folders' and select 26/03 (incremental) and select which public folder to restore.

From then on I have to select 'Information Store', 'Public Folder Store' and see only the top level and no single public folder.

It now seems my Incr and full are a complete mess and now aren't backing up and contrary to what you are saying don't work

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

it is by design that when you backup your Iinformation store using GRT to tape you cannot see the individual public folder in selection list and this is because of Mapi Limiitation that it cannot write the catalog infromation to the tape .https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/understanding-grt-backup-and-restore-functionality-...