Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not Recognizing Tape Drive

AIT_VOIP
Level 2
Drive Type: Dell RD1000 USB Tape Drive
Driver version: 5.2.3790.0
Backup Exec Version: 12.5 for Windows Servers

I am working on a machine where we are attempting to migrate from Yosemite Backup and are getting stuck with Backup Exec recognizing the tape drive. I have attempted to add the device under all devices and am getting the EM:

"There are not other devices to be added to this device pool at this time"

Under the device configuration wizard I get the EM:

"No devices were discovered....."

This device seems to be on the Compatibility list and we have been able to use it with the other backup program without any trouble so I would think the drivers to be installed correctly. Does anyone have any similar experiances with this? What is the best way to correct? Where can I locate a better driver to use if this is the issue? 

Thanks,
Josh

3 REPLIES 3

JT_T
Level 5
Partner Certified
From Tools, Wizards, run Device configuration and see if BE recognizes your drive. If it does, install Symantec drivers. If you cant see your tape drive in BE after that, reboot server and check again.

AIT_VOIP
Level 2
When I do this it advises that  it will not install drivers for USB tape drives and that they should be obtained from the manufacturer. As far as I can see Dell doesnt have a specific Driver on their site for this device, but rather different peices of software (all of which I have tried).

Also, this tape drive is listed on the HCL for the App, but there really isnt any other info provided.

Any other thoughts? 

Thanks,
Josh

JT_T
Level 5
Partner Certified
Sorry, for some reason i missed that part where you told it's a USB device.

I guess that BE cannot and wont handle it like normal tape device, and you should use it wit BE like Removable device.

Can you try to add your RD1000 to BE from Devices, Removable Backup to Disk folder? From there you would create new removable backup to disk folder and show your RD1000, i assume that it shows up as removable storage when looking from Windows Explorer?

Before that, you should disable Windows's "Removable Storage" service.

Edit: Check this link; http://www.experts-exchange.com/Storage/Backup_Restore/Backup_Exec/Q_23156014.html