cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duplication in Reports

MOQ
Level 3
I try to create a custom report in Backup Exec 11d and get multiple duplicate entry in the report.
Basicaly I need the list of failed jobs in last 2 days. It's only a few jobs failed (exactly 6 jobs). So I need a report in 1 page showning only the 6 failed jobs and got a 13 page report with same entries (entry for a failed job) repeating 5 times , 3 times and few 2 times. Even a simpe report with filter only for Job End Time- In Last - 15 Hours create a 43 page report with all the duplications with same data on each line. My report properties given below. Can any one please advice how can I create a simple reprot of failed jobs in last 15 hours with out any duplication entry...

Name and Description -Weekly Report
Field Selection - Category =Job History Group, Fields selected for the report =Job Name and Status
Filters- Filter Criteria = Status<>Completed(success) AND End Time IN LAST 48 Hours
No Grouping , No Sorting and No Graph.

8 REPLIES 8

MOQ
Level 3
Hi,

No Help Smiley Sad

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
Custom reports have proved difficult for me too...

MOQ
Level 3
Hi,

Surprised to see no help symantec. It's a simple backup report I need.

OK can anyone advice how I can register a case with Symantec. We purchased BACKUPEXEC 11 d as oem  product with our DELL Server.

MOQ
Level 3
No Email Support and I don't know which number to call in our region - Middle East
Telephone support is it free or is it only for users with Support Agreement?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Click on the View Support Phone Numbers link and select your country

You can open a paid incident without having a maintenance contract

Kurt_Thomas__CC
Not applicable
Hello,

this is an error in the way the SQL query is created by Backup Exec. The query provides the data for the report and is contained in the backup definition.

Try this:

1) Have a good text editor at hand. E.g., Notepad++.
2) Locate the file in which your report definition is saved. You can see the basename when you display the properties of the report in Backup Exec. It would typically be something like CustomerReport1__en.rdl. The folder will be <Program files folder>\Symantec\Backup Exec\Reports.
3) Open the report definition file in the text editor.
4) Locate the section where the SQL query is specified that provides the data for the report. This is located towards the end of the file and is preceded by the <CommandText> tag.
5) In the SQL query, insert the word "DISTINCT" (without quotes) after the word "SELECT". Make sure there is one space before and one after the word "DISTINCT".
6) If you are using Notepad++, from the menu select Format --> ANSI, to ensure that the file will be saved with the correct encoding.
7) Without making any further changes, save the changed file.

If you run the report now, the duplicates should be gone.
Note: Backup Exec is sensitive about changes to the report definition. If you make other changes, chances are you will render the report unusable. If you cannot successfully run a report after performing the above procedure, select Edit in Backup Exec, then save the report. Also, note that editing the report in Backup Exec will recreate the definition, including the query text. So if you make any changes to the report definition in Backup Exec, you will need to re-perform the above procedure.

Kurt Thomas

James_Avery
Level 4
apparently the database config has changed and been updated.  So there is STILL the problem with duplicate process reporting.  AND, if you update a policy and print its protected objects report again, you'll have added another duplicate line.

Someone's got to get their head out!

FOUND IT!!!

Check out KB article 329045.  Got to do some regediting.

I WAS WRONG!!

This doesn't work for canned reports.  There are STILL duplicate entries in the canned reports.  Haven't had a chance to gin up a custom report to see if it makes the difference it's supposed to.

mmmm....