cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not able to restore data from tape after catalog on the tape

Kish437
Level 3
Hi All,

Could you please anyone guide to fix this issue.

One of our backup servers running Backup Exec 11d and a standalone drive is attached to this server. Currently i am not able to restore data from recent backup. I have inserted a correct tape and started the restoration. But it went to queue, even though the required tape is in the tape drive. Then i have cancelled the restoration job.

Then I ran catalog for this tape, but the catalog job failed with the below error.

Error             : e0000900 - The requested media is not listed in the media index and could not be mounted. To add the media's catalog information to the disk-based catalogs, run an inventory operation on the media and resubmit the Catalog operation.

For additional information regarding this error refer to link
V-79-57344-2304

As per the Symantec doc  " http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/280017.htm ", just followed,
-stopped backup exec services
-changed the catalog folder name and unchecked the below  options

tools-->options-->catalogs

Request all media in the sequence for catalog oprations                 
and
Use storage media-based catalogs.

Then the catalog job got successful for the tape but in restoration job properties window I am not able to the see the tape to restore the data. 

After that I have enabled "request all media in the sequence for catalog oprations "  and ran catalog on the tape(catalog for the tape got successful), but no luck.. Tape or data is not visible on restoration job properties window.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

You can try manually forcing a catalog re-index

See   http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/272886.htm

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

tech29
Level 6
Hi,

Click on Drives, under that select the tape, right click on it and click on restore data. It should show all the information present on that tape, if it is still not showing any information, then make sure "Begining backup date" check box is unchecked. if it is checked, uncheck it and follow the same procedure, you should be able to see your data.

Regards,
Tech29

Kish437
Level 3
hi ,

I tried above steps but no luck....

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
Do u get a byte count when u run the catalog on the tape . In selection list you should only see the content of the Tape from which u are trying to restore as you have renamed the catalog folder

Robert_F_
Level 3

Hi All,

I have the same problem that Ksh437 and I tried all above steps but I continue with the same problem.
When I try to restore in the right panel (label support) makes me "Connection with Server failed. Hit <F5> to retry." and I can not select anything, I do not see the tape ...

Thanks a lot
....................................................................................................................
Could you please anyone guide to fix this issue.

One of our backup servers running Backup Exec 11d and a standalone drive is attached to this server. Currently i am not able to restore data from recent backup. I have inserted a correct tape and started the restoration. But it went to queue, even though the required tape is in the tape drive. Then i have cancelled the restoration job.

Then I ran catalog for this tape, but the catalog job failed with the below error.

Error             : e0000900 - The requested media is not listed in the media index and could not be mounted. To add the media's catalog information to the disk-based catalogs, run an inventory operation on the media and resubmit the Catalog operation.

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-2304

As per the Symantec doc  " http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/280017.htm ", just followed,

-stopped backup exec services
-changed the catalog folder name and unchecked the below  options 

tools-->options-->catalogs

Request all media in the sequence for catalog oprations                  and 
Use storage media-based catalogs.

Then the catalog job got successful for the tape but in restoration job properties window I am not able to the see the tape to restore the data. 

After that I have enabled "request all media in the sequence for catalog oprations "  and ran catalog on the tape(catalog for the tape got successful), but no luck.. Tape or data is not visible on restoration job properties window.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
@Robert - This is an old discussion.  You should start a new discussion for your problem.

Dataperson
Not applicable

Hi All,

was there a solution to this? , I have the same issue, the catalog passes,

but cannot see the catalog when in the restore, I have gone through the same

steps as above, but no luck.  Thank you in advance.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

You can try manually forcing a catalog re-index

See   http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/272886.htm

tcalvet
Level 3

for me. Thanks Ken