cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not able to see Remote Server from Veritas Backup Exec

Brian_Clark
Level 3
I recently took over Network Administration of a company that runs Veritas, which I hadn't used before.

Currently the setup is this:
Media Server (Backup Exec) is set up on a Small Business Server 2003, and our Data server is a Windows Server 2003. We also have a Fax Server running on Windows XP pro, and a BES server running on Windows XP.

Currently the only thing that backs up is the Small Business Server, none of the remote devices are backing up. I have installed the Remote agents to the other device, however I am not seeing these devices in my "Remote Selections" area.
I have gone into each of the other client devices and configured the Remote Agents to advertise to the media server. All clients can ping the server via IP and UNC, as well as from the Media server to the clients.

I have gone into the "Serial Numbers and Installation" to see if there has been any registration for the remote agents, and all I see is a serial number for the Small Business Server Solution.

My question is this; do I need to purchase a remote agent license for my remote server and XP clients? I thought I read somewhere that you did need this for Servers, but not for XP clients. In either case would this keep my Backup Exec from seeing the Remote Agents?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
3 REPLIES 3

Keith_Langmead
Level 6
Not sure about the two desktops, but you'll definitely need to purchase a remote agent license for the server to back that up.

I'm not certain if it's still the case, but it definitely was true that you didn't need to purchase a remote agent license for desktops, but I think you did still need to install the agent to make it work. It might be worth trying to push install it from Backup Exec rather than simply install it direct onto the desktop. Just a guess, but that might force the server to register that it is there.

Other thing is, can you confirm that you can view the two desktops and the server through the network neightborhood from the media server. Obviously if you can't see it through there Backup Exec isn't likely to see it either.

Keith

Brian_Clark
Level 3
I will check the view from Network Neighborhood and post back. Thanks for the suggestions.

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

Please could you provide an update?

Thanks