cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not all selections are backed up

SLS
Level 2
Hello,

I've been working with an 11d evaluation for six days.  Other than a few glitches getting the RALUS agents to perform, I like the capabilities.  But the failure of our weekly full student backup to catch most of the files in this job's selection list while running last night for the first time under 11d,  has me wondering.

The byte count was a small fraction of what it should have been for last night's full backup of our student home shares.  Checked the tape catalog to find that the entire HOME folder is missing!  All other folders, i.e. ETC, appear in the catalog except this one, which is the most important and contains by far the most data.   This is the first time this job has been run under 11d (upgrade from 8.6 to 9.0 and now to 11d evaluation).  Media server is Windows 2000 Server.  In this case, using the RALUS to back up a remote Linux server.  The selection list clearly includes the HOME directory but none of its contents or subfolders are appearing in the tape catalog.  The job log does not mention that any of these were skipped.  The backup job is proceeding as if the HOME folder was excluded in the selection list but that is not the case.  The RALUS.cfg file does not mention this folder as an exclusion either.

What scares me is that the job log says everything is fine.  Why should I have to check the tape catalogs to find that my backups are not working as planned, and why is the selection list not functioning as it should?  Is this a known issue?
4 REPLIES 4

ariesbabu
Level 4
Are you using modified time backup or full backup? Remember there is no archive bit in Linux file system. Differential and incremental backups are possible only using modified time.

May be this is just a catalog issue. What happens when you re-catalog the tape without the storage media bases catalogs?

Could you also check the global exclusion list if any particular file type is excluded?

I don't think it is a known issue. However support has more information on known issues. They might do extra logging to determine if this is an issue.

First let us check the suggestions above.

Cheers.

SLS
Level 2
Thanks for the suggestions.  It was a full backup.  Checking the catalog was done merely to see which files/folders were being skipped.  The byte count for this job should have been around 100Gb but was instead about 1.5Gb, which is consistent with what the catalog says.

The global exclusion list, is that the list of exclusions in the /etc/VrtsRALUS/RALUS.cfg file?

I'm going to create some new selection lists and test them ...

investigator
Not applicable
Hi,

I'm having similar issues with 11d (x64)... in my case all directories are always backed up, but for some of them the files they contain are not. I've noticed that either ALL files in a given directory are correctly backed up or NONE of them appear in the restore selection.

There is no indication that files were skipped on the backup log, so the only way to find out which files are missing is to examine the restore options or to perform a test restore and compare... If someone can enlighten me I'd be very grateful!!!

Regards,

Joan

SLS
Level 2
    Have you also upgraded from an earlier version?  I decided to try building another selection list from scratch, which worked.  The one that was giving me problems was an existing list from the upgrade.  I did modify this list quite heavily in 11d to reflect some changes to the network that occurred at the time of the upgrade, and I'm wondering if the list was in a corrupted state being created in version 8.6 and modified so much later.

Therefore I would suggest that you create another selection list and if it works, delete this one.