cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not in Time Window

Michael_Murph3
Level 3
I have backup jobs scheduled that we have time windows configured. When that window is not available the job changes to Not in Time Window.

Is there a way for the job just to cancel itself then re-schedule itself for next job schedule instead of holding it?
14 REPLIES 14

Kim
Level 3
yes.... I get this message when a backup job is delay or just doesn't run. To fix it I go into the job template setup under Schedule and select the Edit Schedule Details, there I set the Effective Date. Works every time.

Michael_Murph3
Level 3
You have to this each time? I have a not in time window almost every day?, I want to automate this

Kim
Level 3
I only have to do this if my job doesn't run for some reason. Then I get the message "Not in time with Windows". If you schedule the job to start on a certain date and time.... it should follow that schedule. If for some reason that job fails to run you will get this message. Try and schedule the job for at least one to days in advance. That should keep you from getting this message.

Remember if you are trying to schedule a job at 1:00 am that’s tomorrow.

Michael_Murph3
Level 3
The problem is, I want to specify a backup window so jobs are no running throughout the morning/day, most of the time I have one job which doesn't start because it is past that window specified, or it was running but then reached its time window but the backup was not complete so it places it in a Not In Time Window state and tries to start from where it left off

I just want the job to reschedule itself according to its schedule, not let me know that it didnt run in time window and try from where it left off.

Darpan_Thaker
Level 5
A time window is the period of time during which a task can begin on any scheduled run day. For example, if you schedule a task to run every Monday, the task can start at or anytime after midnight early Monday morning. It cannot, however, start after 11:59:59 PM Monday night.

The "Not in time window" occurs if the Backup Exec is unable to start the job within given time limit OR the time window specified for the backup job is overlapping with another job. Refer to the following example for better understanding:

Example:

You have configured a backup job named back1. Which starts at 9:00PM and finishes at 11:00 PM? You have configured another backup job named back2 and specified the time window 10:00PM and 10:30PM. In that case back1 finishes at 11:00 PM. So, Backup Exec will unable to start the backu2 within given time limit (i.e. 10:00PM and 10:30PM). Therefore, back2 will result is "Not in time window" status.

To resolve the issue, change the schedule of backup jobs in such a way that their backup time window does not get conflict with another backup job.

Varsha
Level 6
A time window is the period of time during which a task can begin on any scheduled run day. For example, if you schedule a task to run every Monday, the task can start at or anytime after midnight early Monday morning. It cannot, however, start after 11:59:59 PM Monday night.

The "Not in time window" occurs if the Backup Exec is unable to start the job within given time limit OR the time window specified for the backup job is overlapping with another job. Refer to the following example for better understanding:

Example:

You have configured a backup job named back1. Which starts at 9:00PM and finishes at 11:00 PM? You have configured another backup job named back2 and specified the time window 10:00PM and 10:30PM. In that case back1 finishes at 11:00 PM. So, Backup Exec will unable to start the backu2 within given time limit (i.e. 10:00PM and 10:30PM). Therefore, back2 will result is "Not in time window" status.

To resolve the issue, change the schedule of backup jobs in such a way that their backup time window does not get conflict with another backup job.

Varsha
Level 6
Please update us on this post.

Michael_Murph3
Level 3
I understand what the not in time window means. I want to job to just reschedule itself according to its job schedule.

Am I not explaining this correctly?

Ameet_Thakkar
Level 6
n view of the query you have put-forward, we would like to mention you that, any particular job that you have selected for backup purpose ( no matter you run the job immediately or schedule it on a particular time ), once the job is fired ( Run Now ), and job engine takes charge of the job which it has to process and complete. The time from the moment any particular job is fired is accounted in the time window.

As a first step towards resolving this issue, we suggest you "explicitly" specify the backup device in the backup job's properties (click 'Device and Media' view from the job's properties > select the device manually).
If the issue persists then;
1. Open Backup Exec
2. Right-click the device > Properties > Configuration > un-check 'Enable this device for Backup Exec > click OK.
3. Delete device from devices tab by right-clicking the device.
4. Stop and start all services

As an additional reference you may refer to the following technote:-
Title:-
When schedule jobs run, they go immediately into "" status.

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/264665.htm

Lee_Wood
Level 3
I hope this helps...

1. If you re-run the job (run now), it will reset itself for the next time period, and you will now be in the window.

2. check the "next run time" to see if by leaving it alone, it has rescheduled itself.

Vidyaj__Patneka
Level 6
Hi,
Kindly update us on the issue.

Not applicable
My backupjob runs correctly if I start it manually, but the scheduelling is giving me a headache... I now configured the job exactly like the job on another server (witch runs very well), but still I have the same problem, Not in Time Window...
Please help..

Ron_Wexler
Not applicable
I had the same problem last night and found that changing the priority of the job forced it to reset to the next backup date/time.

What most concerned me is that this situation does not generate any alerts that can be monitored in the event logs.

Richard_Ibbotso
Level 4
Go into the advanced scheduling options for the job and you will be see an option to restart the job after a certain time interval. try this option to restart the job each day. You should be ok then, but keep an eye on things closely to start with.