cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Occasional Microsoft C++ error on remote agent

cypherx
Level 4
Good Morning fellow IT workers. I'd just like to gauge how many people may of come across this problem or have at least heard of it before. We are using BackupExec 10d on our Win2k3 server. We have 3 backups scheduled to run to an Ultra LTO 200/400 GB tape. The first backup that runs is our Exchange Server mailbox save. The second backup is a fax server/websense box, and the third backup is the Win2003 Domain Controller.

About once a month we'll come into work the next day with all of the backups failed. The very first backup (Exchange) runs forever on the Server because on the Exchange server there is a dialog box that you must click OK. Of course this runs after hours, so no one is there to click the OK, and it halts up the entire backup schedule. The error is always:

Application popup: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library : Runtime Error!

Program: C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\RANT\beremote.exe

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
Please contact the application's support team for more information.

As you can see in the attached screen shot I have Enable automatic job cancellation set on the server, but for some reason this is not working. It shows the exchange save running for 13 hours (far longer than the 3 hours I have set).

I'll search Symantec forums for this, but again I'm posting it here as well to see if any of you guys have seen this before.

The strange part is, like I said it only happens once a month or so. Tonight's backup is likely to go well.  Being that Symantec is not out of business, this has to be a correctable problem.

2 REPLIES 2

Booyah
Not applicable
I am also recieving this error as well:
Application popup: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library : Runtime Error!

Program: C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\RANT\beremote.exe

I'm running 10d as well and it only seems to fail ocationally on our Exchange2k3 server as well about every 2-3 weeks.  The event log on the Exchange server only give this "The Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Servers service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 3 time(s)." as the error.  In looking up this error it all seems to point to MDAC but all refer to having Veritas full install on that server not just the remote agent. 

Let me know if you have found anything since this post and I will post again if I find anything else as well.

Thanks

cypherx
Level 4
Hey Booyah.

It's a shame your getting this error as well, but now at least I don't feel completly isolated.  Symantec has offered no assistance, and they keep pushing the blame off.

We just had this error pop up again early this morning.  Thank god I moved our Exchange backup to be the last one on our scheduled jobs, or else all other backups would of been hosed.  Now at least when the first guy makes it in at 6AM, he can manually execute the job when it fails.

This issue has been so frustrating for us, that we are looking for alternatives.  I posted a thread at this site:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r18825205-Exchange-2003-Backup-Solutions

If you post any threads on other sites such as that one I just linked, I'll join you.  Perhaps Symantec doesn't give a s--t because they don't feel enough people are having the problem.

Message Edited by cypherx on 08-16-200705:37 AM