cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Off-Site backup through VPN

Paul_Marsh
Level 2
I've been digging around but can't locate any information on the best practices regarding the following config I'd liek to set up.

Veritas 9.1
Backup to disk (remote stand alone server in a colo)
Through a VPN

If someone could point me to some details or even share how they have have an off-site backup configed that would be great.

Thanx
4 REPLIES 4

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Do you want to perform the backup across VPN?

The recommended method to backup across VPN is using User-Defined
Selections feature. Create a User-Defined Selection of the remote system
that needs to be backed up.
Refer to the following TechNote on the same.

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/241141.htm

If our understanding regarding your issue is incorrect please elaborate the query.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Paul_Marsh
Level 2
I'm actually looking to backup-to-folder through a VPN to an off-site box.

thanx, Paul

A_van_der_Boom
Level 6
That works about the same way as a user defined share backup only the otherway around. You will need a stable VPN connection with enough bandwidth (depending on the time you need for your backup to complete), when you create a B2D folder you can select the server at the other end of the VPN or connect its share to a local drive letter and use to create the B2D.

I think it's a matter of trial and error if this setup will work properly.

You could try to do a local B2D and duplicate it to an offsite B2D, in this case you always will have a complete backup if the remote duplicate fails.

Regards
A van der Boom

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Please create a user defined selection to backup the remote machine via VPN to the backup to disk folder.

Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.