cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old files showing in incremental backups

Joe_RDI
Level 2

Ran into an issue with trying to restore files from an incremental backup.  I wanted to restore the state of a folder at a point in time.  What occurred was when I restored all of the files in the particular folder, Backup Exec appeared to have restored old files that were between the last full backup and the latest incremental backup.  What complaints I got from end users were files that were either overwritten or deleted before the restore I just did showed up in their folders.  All I wanted was to restore the folder files as it existed from the latest backup date, not everything from the latest full backup up to that point.  

For example, I took a full backup on 1/1/18, then incremental backups from 1/2/18 to 1/30/18.  I want to take the files that just existed on backup data 1/29/18, and restore them without restoring everything that existed in that folder from 1/1/18 to 1/29/18.  

I hope I'm explaing myself clearly.  It's bascially a problem where I don't want users to have to figure out what files are the most current.  I had a bad experience from a restore where end users time was wasted figuring out what files were the most current from the multiple copies that existed.

If I need to clarify please let me know.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

When you restore the full backup and the incremental/differential backups into the SAME folder, you would get the latest version of each file and any files that were deleted since the full backup.  This is the way normal backups work.  Normal backups do not keep track of which files are deleted between backups.  All deleted files will be restored if they exist in any of the backups.

If you want to eliminate deleted files from your restores, the you need to buy the Advance Disk-based Backup Option (ADBO) and use the True Image restore.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

pkh
   VIP    Certified

When you restore the full backup and the incremental/differential backups into the SAME folder, you would get the latest version of each file and any files that were deleted since the full backup.  This is the way normal backups work.  Normal backups do not keep track of which files are deleted between backups.  All deleted files will be restored if they exist in any of the backups.

If you want to eliminate deleted files from your restores, the you need to buy the Advance Disk-based Backup Option (ADBO) and use the True Image restore.

Thanks.  I knew it was going to sound like a dumb question but I had to ask.  Appreciate the insight.