cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One time backup to tape

TomaszB
Level 3

Hello

I have my BE 2010 R3 connected to Dell Tape Library with 22 LTO4 tapes, one cleaning tape and empty IO station.

Everything is configured and working fine according to backup policy.

I need to create full backup to tape and place it in vault in another another location for security reasons.

I don't want to create WORM media for this.

How to perform this operation?

I can manually place new tape in IO station and move it to drive.

What to do next from Symantec management console to create full backup on that tape?

Last time, Symantec detects new tape as WORM and it took me quite a lot of time to get it back to normal.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

It's not a physical partition of the library, it's a logical partition of the slots.

Go to BE --> Devices --> right-click the library and select Configure Partitions.

Click Slot 1, and then click Slot 2 and this should create 2 partitions. Put your tape into Slot 1 and target the backup job at that partition...

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

CraigV

Hi,

No need to create anything special.

Put the tape into the drive, and create a new backup job, selecting everything you want to back up. You can either partition the library temporarily with 1 slot with the tape in, and direct the job to this, or put the tape in and direct the job to a particular drive. I'd go with a temporary partition.

Once done, slide the protective tab across and place offsite.

If you really want to, you can create a media set with an OPP setting in years and place the tape in this during the job setup.

Thanks!

TomaszB
Level 3

I was trying to create one time full backup.

Steps:

1. Load IO station with new tape (with bar code label on it)

2. Move tape from IO station to Drive

3. Create new media set wit OPP like 10 years

4. Create backup job, where target is library drive with new tape and media set with OPP 10 years

5. Run backup job

6. Enjoy error:

"Robotic library destination element full error.
The robotic library has reported a destination element full error condition. This is typically caused by trying to mount media into a drive that already contains media. The drive state has been set to offline. Please attend to this condition."

Any Ideas?

CraigV

OK...so try partitioning the library with 1 slot, and put a tape into it. Direct the backup job to this slot, and when it completes, delete the partition.

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Check if a tape is present which did not eject...similar to https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/backup-exec-2010-and-exabyte-224-tape-library

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Craig almost certainly has the correct advice - BE (with a library) is designed to choose media from a slot and use it in the drive, it is not desigend to just use a media that you have moved into the drive using an external utility.

TomaszB
Level 3

PowerVault TL2000 with one drive (I have only one drive) can not by partitioned to logical libraries.

So maybe this way:

1. Remove one tape from magazine

2. Insert new tape

3. Scan library to find new tape

4. Manually set mediaSet created for long time OPP

5. Create new job selecting mediaSet with long OPP.

I'm a little bit afraid, that new tape would become WORM media.

CraigV

It's not a physical partition of the library, it's a logical partition of the slots.

Go to BE --> Devices --> right-click the library and select Configure Partitions.

Click Slot 1, and then click Slot 2 and this should create 2 partitions. Put your tape into Slot 1 and target the backup job at that partition...

Birend
Level 3
Employee

Create vault rules and then apply the same in the media set properties.

Follow the article below on how to create that

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO22818

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO22320

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified

So you don't have any free tape slots? I'm not sure how well BE 2010 will cope with an additional tape then. I know BE 12.5 won't like it.

Assuming that:

• you want your offsite tape to be a specific tape
  • All your current tapes are in a specific media set (not scratch media)
  • Your Media Protection settings are set to full or partial, with overwrite scratch media first enabled.

...what I would do is:

1. Create a new media set with the appropriate Overwrite Protection Period
  2. Export one of your current tapes (using BE) and remove it from the Import/Export slot.
  3. Import your new tape to the now-vacated slot and inventory it. Make sure it's added to the Scratch Media set
  4. Create your backup job and allocate the media to your new media set.
  5. The backup should use your new tape and assign it to the new media set
  6. Export your tape and take it off site
  7. Import the tape you removed in step 2

HOWEVER...

I'd consider doing this frequently, recycling off-site tapes when necessary, using the move and retrieve media from vault reports. 

pkh
   VIP    Certified

I would suggest that you remove all the other tapes from your library so that you are sure that your job writes to that particular tape.  Before your job begins, make sure that the tape is in the scratch media ser and not in the media set with the long OPP.  If it is in the media set with a long OPP and it is not a new tape, it would not be overwriteable.

You do not have to be afraid that it will become a WORM tape.  A WORM tape is identified by the barcode label.  For example, for HP libraries, a normal LTO4 tape has a suffix of L4 and a WORM LTO4 tape has a suffix of LU.

TomaszB
Level 3

I just did what I wanted.

Find attached file to complete procedure for one time backup on tape.

Sorry for my English, but it should be clear how to proceed.

Thanks for Your help.