cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Optimised Dedupe over dedicated network

DavidSte
Level 4

I'm currently backing up servers over a production network and running optimised dedupe to a remote site for offsite backups (with Backup Exec 2012)

This is running over a production WAN but I have another replication network available - is it possible to force the optimised dedupe traffic over another network.

The agents cannot see this replication network, so the backup exec servers would need to still run backups over the production network and just use a separate network for the replication traffic.

Thanks, Davod

2 REPLIES 2

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

You may be able to do it by using host files on the two media serevrs so that all the resolution in either direction between the servers goes over the other network - this is assuming that your "replication network" does mean secondary network cards and unique IP addresses on the two media servers and is not some kind of costed redundancy on your WAN link and no secondary subnets.

Note I doubt we have tested this in any kind of official capacity

DavidSte
Level 4

Yep, secondary NICs with unique IPs that are isolated (apart from seeing the backup network at the other site through a router).

I guess this means the CAS talks to the MMS via DNS name only? 

Would it be an option to set each server to use the replication interface by default and tick the box to allow them to connect to agents via "any available network" or would everything default to the production network anyway?

I'll give the hosts files hack a try now.

Thanks, David