cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Option to retry a job if the job is missed. - Lost functionality from BEWS 2010

deejerydoo
Level 5
Partner

Here's another loss of important functionality between 2010 and the latter versions of Backup Exec (2012 and 2014):

In 2010 job policies, if a job missed it's wondow for backup you were able to set the policy to retry the job automatically. This was really handy for D2T jobs at the end of a busy weekend of backup jobs, where a tape resource may have been too busy to handle all of the duplicate jobs it had set to it. Any jobs that weren't able to run within their backup window would simply retry until the device became available. For people who use duplicate backup jobs to tape this is a pretty important loss of functionality in the product.

Posting this here to see if others in the community are missing this functionality. I'll post it up as an idea too...

6 REPLIES 6

Automation2015
Level 4
Partner

Hi,

You are trying to say that in 2010 bacup exec you were able to set the retry feature through error handling kindly correct me if i am wrong or is there any other feature through which you can configure the retry in BAckup Exec 2010.But in later 2012 and 2014 you dont have error handling functinality?

Now you can retry the job through BEMCLI  and you also have error handling  in 2012 .They have integrated Windows power shell which can be used effectively for this as an alternate.

Regards

Automation

deejerydoo
Level 5
Partner

Hi Automation2015,

Thanks for your reply.

I am not exactly sure what you mean when you refer to "error handling". The retry feature I am referring to was available as a part of the job policy system in 2010.

Do you have any examples of the BEMCLI for handling "Missed" duplicate job retries?

There appears to be something missing from the interface in Backup Exec 2014, with regards to the scheduling of duplicate to tape jobs. I have had a duplicate to tape job fail on me that was marked as "Missed". "Missed" implies there is a window of opportunity for duplicate to tape jobs to run. However, there is nothing in the schedule section of the duplicate to tape job settings that would indicate this, or allow you to make changes to the backup window. Again, this is something that was available in Backup Exec 2010 and appears to still be in the Backup exec 2014, but hidden from the interface.

Cheers,

David

deejerydoo
Level 5
Partner

I have found a related feature idea request and voted it up.

http://www.symantec.com/connect/ideas/ability-configure-timeout-window-duplication-jobs-backup-exec

In the meantime, if there are any examples for a command line work-around I would be grateful.

Cheers...

Automation2015
Level 4
Partner

Hi,

Please Check the below article,This helps you to enable Retry Feature.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO2242...

.Kindly check if it works for your requirement.

The following command starts both of the overwrite jobs that I’ve defined, which overwrites the backup tape in each tape drive. The Start-BEJob cmdlet doesn’t support wildcard characters, but you can use them with the Get-BEJob cmdlet and then pipe that cmdlet to Start-BEJob.

Get-BEJob -Name "o*" |

Start-BEJob |

Out-Null

Get a list of the backup jobs that failed with a status of error in the past 12 hours:

Get-BEJobHistory -JobStatus Error -FromStartTime (Get-Date).AddHours(-12) |

ft -auto

The Help that is provided with the cmdlets in this module is very thorough. All of the valid values for parameters such as the JobStatus parameter that I used in the previous command are listed in the Help:

help Get-BEJobHistory –Parameter JobStatus

Re-run the backup jobs that failed due to a status of error in the past 12 hours:

Get-BEJob -Name (Get-BEJobHistory -JobStatus Error -FromStartTime (Get-Date).AddHours(-12) |

select -expand name) |

Start-BEJob |

Out-Null

The Get-BEActiveJobDetail cmdlet returns a list of the backup jobs that are currently active (running), but I prefer to use the Get-BEJob cmdlet for this. I’ve included the jobs that have a status of “Ready”, which are waiting for a storage (backup) device to become available. If these backup jobs were being backed up to the tapes drives, the storage column would contain the tape drive name.

Get-BEJob -Status “Active”, “Ready” |

select Storage, Name, JobType, Status |

ft -auto

Cancel all of the active backup jobs:

Get-BEJob -Status "Active" |

Stop-BEJob |

ft –auto

Eject the backup tape from each of the tape drives:

Get-BETapeDriveDevice |

Submit-BEEjectMediaJob |

Out-Null

Regards

Automation

Automation2015
Level 4
Partner

Hi

Is the script helpful to you.And can you also tell me how should i enabled that feature to restart if the job missed backup window.

deejerydoo
Level 5
Partner

Hi Automation2015,

I haven't tried your suggested scripts. I haven't had time and it all strikes me as a complex workaround to a problem that Symantec chose to break in their 2012 debacle and still haven't fixed in 2014.

The article you linked to, regarding the Error-Handling Rules in Backup Exec, looked promising, but only until I realised that Symantec appear to have no support for "Missed" job error code in their error handling, as far as I could tell.

According to the job log, the error code I was looking for was: "Error: e000e020 - The duration that this job is allowed to remain scheduled has passed. It will be rescheduled. Verify that storage is available and check the job's schedule settings. Ensure that there is enough time for it to begin running before it is considered missed."

I couldn't find any pre-defined rules. So, I tried creating a custom rule. However, to create a custom rule you need to have an error category and the error message generated in the job log, as shown above, doesn't contain a category. So the only option, without a category, is searching through hundreds of error codes, which makes using their error handling interface unusable!

Unfortunately, I'm not sure what you mean by your last sentence?

Cheers,

David.