cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Out of Disk space C:\ Need to move BEDB

Larry_Sall
Level 3
WHen we installed BE we chosse the defaults.... C:\Program Files...

We also sleceted to use our existing instance of SQL because SQL was already resident on the server where the tape drive is and is our primary server... A single work horse.... THe server is setup into two partitions, C:= about 10Gig, the remaining is left for everything else...

I want BEDB_DAT.LDF and it's tran log on that D:\SQLFILES location.

I shut down BE services via BEUtility
I use the SQL enterprise tools and detach
THen I move the files and re-attach. Everything is cool
Fire up the BE services and when BE Device services start the BEDB is deleted. and I then get teh error no table. OK I then copy the files back to C:\Program Files... (orig loc) re-attach and BE services fire.

There is no other Instance of SQL, ther eis only the one. I have 5 Meg on C:... BEDB is 5Gig.

So where do I go from here?
7 REPLIES 7

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
hello,

The log files cannot be transferred seperately.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

Larry_Sall
Level 3
Lets try this again.... Simply put I need to move the DB BEDB to another drive not where it is. Which is the default install location when BE was installed/upgraded. BE went to C:\.... I need the BEDB on D:\.... The docs referenced previously here in the KB do not work, I still get error that the DB can not be found. SQL shows the file but when BE device service starts up it deletes the database out of SQL and then errors out.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
In the meantime, you can move the \Catalogs dir.

From Tools\options\Catalog, choose a new location
shut down all BackupExec Services
move the entire folder
restart Backupexec

(The catalogs dir is normally where most of the space BE eats up is )

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

You can also refer the following technote:
How to change the Backup Exec database location using BEUTILITY
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/275658.htm

Please update us on this issue.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Larry_Sall
Level 3
Again,

My problem is not the Server under which BEDB is served it is the physical location of the Files BEDB_DAT and BEDB_LOG. When BE was installed the default locations were used. Locating the BEDB files any other location will cause the BE device services not to start. They error out with the message File not found. The instructions I have been pointed to do not work.

We have Win 2K sp4, with SQL 2000 sp3 and BE all on one server. We have one 9 gig partition and one 126Gig partition. THE BEDB FILES are taking 5GIG and have surged to 7Gig.

I have tried to detach move and re-attach the DB, after move BE device services attempts to start then errors out and Deletes the attached database entry from SQL which in turn deletes the DB.

I want BEDB moved from C:\...... to D:\.....

WHERE DOES BE SERVICES store the information used to DETERMINE WHAT THE LOCATION OF BEDB SHOULD BE?

HOW CAN I PHYSICALLY MOVE THE BEDB SUCH THAT BE WILL CONTINUE TO RUN?

This is a straight forward question one that should be a common need.

THe docs thus far offered are of no use they do not work. I need to manually tell BE where the files are so I can move them.

BEDB should not require being located in the BE directory structure as the DB is managed by SQL not a native DBMS within BE.

BE validates the physical location of BEDB that is very clear, so how does one tell BE to only validate through SQL the DB exists?

Larry_Sall
Level 3
THanks,

this has been done and for now has given me some breathing room. but alas it seems far too little to really fix the issue. Maybe I should have asked what get into BEDB and what can I turn off to lower it's usage, but that is surely more involved to setup and maintain that doing this fix right the first time.

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

I don't know the status of the original issue.If you still need to move the databse please refer to this:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/271620

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.