cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MS Volume Shadow Copy configuration

Fernando_Vinan-
Level 4
Does anyone know how to configure VSS (under Windows 2003 + BE v10) to prevent it using particular disks/volumes for it's snap-shot files?

In have migrated a server from using an old tape unit to two external USB hard disks and when doing backups it uses them to also store the snap-shots. This is daft as it slows the whole process down and occasionally causes Windows to force dismount the drives in the middle of a backup as it cannot handle the excess traffic.
5 REPLIES 5

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello,

If I have understood your querry properly, you would like to change the VSS path.
Are you getting any specific error while taking backup.
Please elaborate more on the problem.

Regards

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Fernando_Vinan-
Level 4
Yes sort of.

When I perform a complete system backup of only the fixed hard disks, where the volumes are:

C, D ,E and F - fixed hard disk
Y and Z - external USB hard disks

the VSS creates its files on Y and Z because they have the most free capacity, but these are the drives I backup to so I sometimes get "ftdisk" and "volsnap" errors due to excessive traffic.

I think VSS thinks the USB external drives are fixed so it thinks they can be used. I need to exclude them somehow.

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello,

You can refer to the following technote:

How to change the default location of AOFO cache in Backup Exec 9.x for Windows Servers
http://support.veritas.com/docs/268450

Hope this helps you.

Regards

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Fernando_Vinan-
Level 4
No it doesn't help. Please actually read my problem before answering it.

It has nothing to do with v9 nor anything to do with AOFO.

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
hello,

Please refer to this technote to shift the cache file location. Is this what you were looking for?

http://support.veritas.com/docs/268450

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.