Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overwrite Full Tapes

adam_wright
Level 2
Partner
Hi
We have a simple 1 drive setup.
On 1 job I want my tapes to append untill they are full and then overwrite.
I have set tools / options / backup / media overwrite protection to append to media, overwrite if no appendable media is available.
I have set the job properties / device and media settings / when this job begins to append to media, overwrite if no appendable media is available.
This works fine untill the tape cannot take a full backup, it appends then tries to span onto another tape. I want it just to overwrite and start again.
Is this possible.
Best Regards
Adam
5 REPLIES 5

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
BackupExec will never do this. If it fills a tape up either with an append or an overwrite job, it will ask for an Overwritable tape to continue.

This is because if BackupExec overtwrites the tape header (overwrites the tape) all info on that ape becomes unaccessable, even if it has not been overwritten.Message was edited by:
Ken Putnam

Dave_Haans
Level 3
Try Tools / Options / Media Management:
"Media overwrite protection level" set to "None" with NO prompt, and "Media overwrite options" set to "Overwrite recyclable media contained in targeted media set..."

-I have just set this to try to counter what seems to be the same problem, that is tapes not being overwritten when they are full despite telling BE 10 that you want them to be overwritten in 2 places in the program... I guess you need to tell it to overwrite tapes in *three* places before it finally does what you want!

Since I just set BE this way so I don't know if it will work, but surely there can't be *four* places in BE that you need to tell it what to do... wait what I am saying?!?! There are probably 10 places :)

adam_wright
Level 2
Partner
I see that but If there is not enough room on the tape for a full backup set then I dont want it to try to append, i want it to overwrite the tape and start again, i understand all the append jobs will be lost.
Thanks
Adam

adam_wright
Level 2
Partner
Cheers Dave - Let me know how that go's
Adam

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

Are you getting any alerts like "Please insert overwritable media"

If yes please note that:

When you select the option "Append to media; overwrite if no appendable media is available" or "Append to media; terminate if no appendable media is available" in the backup job, Backup Exec will look for appendable media first and it will append the data to the eligible media. If the same backup job spans to another media, Backup Exec will always overwrite the next available media (it will not perform the append operation in case of spanning). If it does not find any overwritable media, a prompt "Please insert overwritable media" will be generated.

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.