cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overwrite protection - cascaded drives

Mike_Varley
Level 2
Hi Folks

We're running a cascaded drive pool with two tape drives. At the weekend we run a set of jobs that spans two tapes - so the first tape if always full (not appendable) and the second tape is appendable.

If I set overwite protection to full or partial the overwrite status of all the second tapes tallies with the overwite protection period - i.e. these tapes are either overwriteable or have date against them indicating when they will become overwritable. The first tapes (i.e. the full ones) are always set to 'Infinite - Don't allow overwrite'. Does anyone know why this might be?

Cheers

Mike
4 REPLIES 4

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello,

The media management depends upon the Overwrite Protection Period and the Append Period set for a media set.

To have better comprehension regarding Overwrite Protection Period and Append Period, please refer the following technotes:

1. An explanation of the "Overwrite Protection Period" and the "Append Period"
http://support.veritas.com/docs/237374

2.The basics of Advanced Device and Media Management for VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) for Windows Servers
http://support.veritas.com/docs/192265

Hope this helps you. Please do not hesitate to post if you have any doubts.

Regards

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
It has been a while since I really delved into the depths of ADAMM :D, but IIRC it is because Overwrite is determined by the last write to the tape, while append is determined by the first write/overwrite to the tape. Since the backup set spans tapes, and since the second tape is/may be appendable, the overwrite on the first is Infinite until the second tape passes it's overwrite period

Again, this is from memory, but would explain it.

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hi,

In reference to our previous reply to your post, we would request you to update us on the progress.

However, if we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be assumed answered and archived.

Thanks.

Sheetal_Risbood
Level 6
As per our previous reply, marking the case as assumed answered and moving it to answered questions pool.