cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overwrite protection

Gary_Wohn
Level 2
I'm running Back-up Exec TM 9.1 on Windows Small Business Server 2003. My DLT tape ejected itself after completing most of the nightly backup. Message said it is Overwrite Protected. Another tape didn't finish last week. I noticed that both of these tapes are the only 2 of 6 tapes that show "Not Appendable", whereas the others show "Infinite-Allow Append". I assume this is the cause of the incomplete backups. If so, how do I change the status to "Infinite-Allow Append"?
5 REPLIES 5

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Sounds like you are filling your tape up.

If you fill the tape, BackupExec marks it as Non-Appendable regardless of the Append Period, since there is no room for more data.

Chaitanya_Khurj
Level 6
Hello Gary,

Here are two technotes which will help you understand Overwrite Protection Period and Append Period.

The basics of Advanced Device and Media Management for VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) for Windows Servers

http://support.veritas.com/docs/192265

An explanation of the "Overwrite Protection Period" and the "Append Period"

http://support.veritas.com/docs/237374

Hope this helps.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Gary_Wohn
Level 2
I have another tape that filled up and now shows Non-Appendable. All of the tapes are set to Overwritable and the Overwrite Protection Period for the Media Set is None. The Append Period is grayed out at None and shows Infinite - Allow Append. So, in order to have the tapes overwrite the previous weeks data w/ the new data, do I change the Append Period to 1 day? I have 5 tapes for Mon - Fri that I change out every morning. The back-ups are set to run Mon - Fri at 11:00 pm. The amount of data to backup is less than the tape capacity, so only one tape is needed per day.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Overwrite protection Period starts when the last data of the last backup set on the tape is written. That is, it is updated every time data is written to the tape

Append period is set when the first data of the first backup set on the tape is written, and never changes until the tape is overwritten again

You can either insert the tape you want to use and drag it to the scratch set, or change the OPP such that when you want to reuse a tape, it has expired (bearing in mind that appended data does extent the OPP)Message was edited by:
Ken Putnam

Asma_Tamboli
Level 6
Hi Gary,

Please let us know if you have any further queries.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.